TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think it's an alignment issue.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got a 99 911/966 cab and find the front also very light....scarry almost....car handles perfect..but the light floating feeling, gives me a very insecure/unsafe feeling. Luckily driving over 100 in LA without getting pulled over is almost impossible...so the floating feeling keeps me in check.....have to say that my Honda Element feel better/safer at 90..but I won't make the same lane changes as with my P.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 C2 with stock suspension and 17" rims. I haven't felt any floating in the front end, and I've been to 130mph. In fact, it felt very secure travelling at that speed. I feel very secure in my 996 no matter what the conditions and speeds I'm going.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:08 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Lightness plan of attach

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
got a 99 911/966 cab and find the front also very light....scarry almost....car handles perfect..but the light floating feeling, gives me a very insecure/unsafe feeling.
As Nicolas and Dirtrack49 have commented, I have the same sensation in my 2000 Cab: front end feels a little light at speeds over 70-80mph. But lightness may not accurately describe the sensation for some readers. Basically, what happens is that you start driving a bit more quickly, the car tracks straight but then you feel as though the front wheels are going a bit this way and that (like mini-swiveling). It's quite disconcerting. It doesn't change the direction of the car so much as it leaves an unsettling feeling coming through the steering wheel as though the direction of the front wheels has changed and does not match the EXACT direction that you want (i.e. - a light feeling). It's not that you can't corner well, it's just that the 'lightness' does not inspire confidence in cornering well or driving straight fast even though I have no doubt the car could hit the turn well and drive straight. I have driven my father's 2004 C4S cab (not apples to apples) and NOT noticed this sensation.

From reading all the posts here, and my own prior experiences with other cars (yes, I have noticed this sensation before), I am left to presume that perhaps:

1. I still have those damn Continental Contisports 2s on and they are the reason that the car tracks lightly at speed (yes, I know, not likely and a carry-over from another thread on Rennlist recently, but I hate these tires).

2. The tire pressure is creating the disturbance. However, Dirtrack49 stated that he has tried varying pressures to no avail or alleviation of the problem.

3. Alignment is required. I must say that I am leaning to this solution. As suggested in a post on this thread, adding burrs during alignment might be the solution because these cars can go out of 'line' often, particularly if you drive on poor quality roads like in NYC. I will be scheduling this post haste. I bet this offers salvation.

4. Suspension modifications. The RoW M030 might be a decent solution. I can accept that minor changes in frame geometry and pivot points caused by lowering the car would improve handling. However, I don't know if that would be the cure to this problem, even if it did resolve the symptoms. It just might push out the 'lightness' sensation to higher speeds. My goal is to resolve/cure it completely. Besides, I have driven cars that had the stock USA non-sport suspension and they drove as expected.

5. Aerodynamic modications with bumper replacement. I don't by this at all. The sensation happens at speeds as low as 70-80 mph. If it only happened at 140 mph, I would say that's the nature of the beast. Oh yeah, I also know this isn't the case because I ALREADY have the Aero I front spoiler and side skirts.

So there it is. Alignment imminently, and then maybe RoW M030 suspension upgrade anyway, and I'll post back and let you know how it went. Of course, it still could be those damn Contis.

Cheers,

Edward
Old 11-11-2005, 11:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

MkI front and skirts (Aerokit) and RoWM030 totally transformed my car. Feels like it should. Floating feeling? Gone. Light feeling? Gone. SUV look? Gone.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

A few weeks ago , I started getting that lightness/bouncy feel at speeds, esp on the track. I had my alignment checked, it was a little off, as the car had settled about another 1/2" since my X73, and created some significant toe out. Taso at TPK Performance(formerly RPM) re-aligned it, now it's perfect once again!
Def check the alignment first.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:54 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Dell, you are a riot. SUV look? Come on, it's not that bad.

Anyway, I think the alignment is definitely the right start. But hey, if not....then what a wonderful excuse for some Euro spec suspension hardware. I tell you, you guys on this forum are going to be the death of me and my wallet. BUt then again, money's only something you need in case you don't die tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Edward, this forum was the death of my wallet as well. Embrace the mod bug!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:29 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JimB
Tom,
As you'll come to expect, you've received some great advice here. I drove a students 99 996 with the stock suspension at Brainerd a couple of weeks ago and it really didn't start floating around until around 130-140. 120 through T1 felt great for a stock car with street tires. The car in stock form is really incredible.

As other have suggested, I would attack the issue in this order:

1) tire pressures/tires in general
2) alignment
3) suspension. which one depends on what kind of ride you're willing to live with
4) aero kit. I would do the suspension first only because it has other benefits
5) more suspension. by now you will be addicted. welcome to the slope

Have fun.
Jim
totally agree...

check the tyre pressures.....(in fact adjust the tyre pressures....)

as dirtrack49 sais try something "crazy" . from the factory recomendation of 36psi fronts, 44 psi rears, to any combination down to 30 fronts/36 rears.

i had excactly the same prob....i went from stages 2-5 as above....and stage 1 with the factory settings of 36-44...i thought i was perfect and something else was wrong.....

then someone told me " take off some air!!!!"

now i am running 32-36....and....

i am pleased....try it
Old 11-13-2005, 04:11 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know what??? I still enjoy driving my P..with all the "problems more than any other car I ever had...the cornering makes up for the "floatiness" and with all my photo equipment in the trunk....the car handles like a dream...cheapest solution...put a 50 pound weight in the trunk...slows you down a little but the floatiness is gone....
Old 11-13-2005, 05:15 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
you know what??? I still enjoy driving my P..with all the "problems more than any other car I ever had...the cornering makes up for the "floatiness" and with all my photo equipment in the trunk....the car handles like a dream...cheapest solution...put a 50 pound weight in the trunk...slows you down a little but the floatiness is gone....
i disagree!!!!
why would you do that...

there is no reason of choosing this way...

identify the prob....solve it and you will be still enjoying the car without any prob....
Old 11-15-2005, 01:18 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

I recently changed my very cold tire pressures to 35 front and 42 rear. The lightness handling sensation is improved to some degree...enough so that I may experiment with different pressures, perhaps going to the 34/40 config mentioned earlier in the post.

I will say that I think that the Conti tires, if not the source of the problem, definitely exacerbate it. They just sound so awful on asphalt and concrete as though they are out of round. I know it is not a balance issue, but clearly, I will replace the tires after the thaw (that's spring here in NYC) and rebal and re-align. I suspect this will resolve all issues for once and for all.

Anyone been able to fix the lightness sensation without going to the RoW euro-spec suspension?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:28 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nycebo
I recently changed my very cold tire pressures to 35 front and 42 rear. The lightness handling sensation is improved to some degree...enough so that I may experiment with different pressures, perhaps going to the 34/40 config mentioned earlier in the post.

I will say that I think that the Conti tires, if not the source of the problem, definitely exacerbate it. They just sound so awful on asphalt and concrete as though they are out of round. I know it is not a balance issue, but clearly, I will replace the tires after the thaw (that's spring here in NYC) and rebal and re-align. I suspect this will resolve all issues for once and for all.

Anyone been able to fix the lightness sensation without going to the RoW euro-spec suspension?
by the way i have conti's and i am happy....
Old 11-15-2005, 04:38 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I would just align it now, Taso did mine for 100$, 20min. TXK Racing, formerly RPM, no connection, just a happy customer.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:10 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

so what has been the conclusion....did the alignment fix the problem for you guys...thanks

Quick Reply: Why do I feel like I'm floating?