Why do I feel like I'm floating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:56 AM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Tom,

You're not weird or imagining things bro...when I purchase my 2002 C2 earlier in the year I imagined world class handling (a la le mans) out of the box. It behaved extremely floaty like you mentioned...my has the bone stock US suspension. Rolls, squats, dives, floats....all over the f*ckin place. Definitely set-up for the mainstream yuppy just looking to own a "porsche." After much research I order the very aggresive factory X74 suspension kit (w stabilizers). After many owners I've spoke with they've commended that package with virtually eliminating any understeer and floatiness or squat and dive. Even the jaded hardcore track guys loved it....I would prefer it over the PSS9's for several reasons. (no need to adjust/tune & it being a factory part among the top of the list) Get the X74 for your 02' ...wait till it goes on sale again at Carneval and order it from Gert.

--- Kevin
Old 10-12-2005, 05:12 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think one thing worth considering is that when your suspension rolls, squats, dives, etc. it's only reacting to your inputs. Be it turning, accelerating or braking. Whatever suspension reaction you experience with stock suspension is also happening with X74, m030, Pss9, Carlo's Motons or my full race suspension. A stiffer suspension only masks bad habits that will reemerge as you take whatever suspension you have to it's limits. (OK, I should admit at this point that I teach our region's racing physics class so this topic is near and dear to me.) I really think we would all be better off if we learned to drive a stock suspension smoothly before upgrading it. I didn't but I wish I would have. It's much easier to learn how to control the movement of weight around the car when you can feel it happening at a relatively low speed.

BTW, the stock 996 suspension can be driven very fast without any of the bad behavior described in the hands of the right driver. I'm not picking on you Kevin and I apologize for using your post to make a point. It really applies to all of us.
Jim
Old 10-12-2005, 11:04 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Jim,

I agree with what you are saying about the car is only reacting to one's inputs, good or bad.
This is true of any vehicle rather it be front, mid, or rear engine. My experience only being in front engine cars.

This last month has been a very new experience to me trying to learn the traits of a rear engine car.
The more I drive, the more I learn.

What worries me is not so much the handling qualities of the car (C2 with US M030 susp. 18 light alloys w/p-zero tires) but the light feeling in the steering at speed. I am talking about accelerating from a dead stop to over 100 mph in a straight line and feeling the sensation of a light steering input or a feeling of a front end float. I imagine that if I could find a long curve that I could take at that speed without getting arrested, I would have the same sensation?

Many people here have suggested that this could be tire pressure, alignment, ect. I have tried tire pressures from the recommended 36psi front, 44psi rear to combinations as low as 30/38. Can't say I notice much difference. As far as alignment goes, yes I probably should check that out, but I just can't see how alignment, unless it was way out, could create a light front end at speed?

Maybe its time to find another car and driver and do some reality checks? I try his, he trys mine?

Tom L
Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Tom, what wheels/offsets are you running? If far off from factory that might be the prob.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:25 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

I am running Porsche OEM 18" light alloys. No offsets that I am aware of?

Tom L
Old 10-12-2005, 11:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Just a thought.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

I have an 04 C4S with X73. My car was all over the place, quite unstable just as you are describing and also my car would track straight if I took my hands off the wheel. Well not perfectly straight but certainly not off enough for me to question the alignment. Well I did have the alignment checked and it was way out. It has been adjusted properly now and my cars feels totally different. I would go to a well respected Porsche shop or to a good P car dealer and get the alignment done before anything else. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Dave, was your alignment off pre or post x73?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:21 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom,
There is no question these cars suffer from some lift which is worse at the US ride height but it doesn't seem right getting it at such low speeds. Like other have said, check the alignment. After that you can go after the expensive stuff.
Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

C4S surgeon: My alignment was off after the X73 install due to a slight off track excursion. At the time I thought nothing of it but later realized the settings had moved. BTW it was late yesterday when I posted and I need to correct that mine is an 02 C4S.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I think mine is off a bit now as well, a lot of driving on crappy roads with the x73 as of late.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Dave S
Rennlist Member

The shop that does my alignment showed my why 996's can get out of spec pretty easy. It's in part due to the surfaces of the adjustment cams being smooth. In the last alignment they removed these parts and introduced some burrs into the surfaces then reinstalled and aligned the car. This seems to be a fix that helps. I've been to LRP twice on the new alignment and everything seems OK. You may know that LRP is pretty bumpy and tough on alignment.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, that is a very interesting theory. I have the same problem with my x74 getting out of alignment. Every 3-4 months or so it needs realignment.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 PM
agio
Racer

What kind of tires are you running? What is the condition of the tires? What tire pressures are you running--cold & hot? Are your alignment, etc. set up correctly?
I'm interested to know please.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:08 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

I am running Pirelli Roso P-zero's. Fronts have about 15k on them, rears are new. All four tires are in excellent condition. I have set my tire pressures from the factory recomendation of 36psi fronts, 44 psi rears, to any combination down to 30 fronts/36 rears. Have not checked the alignment since I purchased the car a little over a month ago.

Tom L

Quick Reply: Why do I feel like I'm floating?