996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is a fair offer on this car

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005 | 08:41 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What is everyone talking about with the "mods" on this car?? This thread makes it seem like the car he's looking at is ready for the cover of Import Tuner. Coilovers, exhaust and wheels suddenly vounts as "tons of mods"? That's crazy. I certainly dont agree that those mods would REDUCE the value of the car.

At the end of the day, make the offer you think the car is worth. If he doesnt take it, then you have to find a different car. If the market is as bad as the folks here believe, he will JUMP on your lowest offer.

Personally, I would never accept the $35k that a lot of folks here feel is the MAX value of a well maintained, well optioned, 99 aerokit in a good color (my car, coincidentally). I'd rather just do dealer trade in at that point. I was recently considering a 997S and was offered $32k from the dealer. When you factor in the tax saved on the next car you're buying due to trade in value, you're almost breaking even selling to a stranger except you get all the hassle of dealing with them and none of the convenience of trading in.
Old 10-07-2005 | 01:13 AM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's he asking for the car? You never said, and it sounds like you had a wide range between $35k and $45k. Rather than guessing, see what he's asking. You'd hate to offer $45 if it turns out he was only asking $42. If he's asking $50, then you know he's not in the same ballpark. Ultimately, you should offer what you feel is the right price for the car, but if you're worried about insulting him then ask him to name his price first.
Old 10-07-2005 | 03:27 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
I'd rather just do dealer trade in at that point. I was recently considering a 997S and was offered $32k from the dealer. When you factor in the tax saved on the next car you're buying due to trade in value, you're almost breaking even selling to a stranger except you get all the hassle of dealing with them and none of the convenience of trading in.
Not sure about NYC where you live but here in CA, there is no tax savings when you trade in. Trade in value is not deducted from your purchase price directly when calculating taxes. Taxes are based on the price of the new car alone.

As for your trade in value of $32k, if that car can be sold for 10% more ($3k), most would sell in 3rd party if it's easy to sell at $35k and there is no reduction in sales tax.
Old 10-07-2005 | 10:05 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gnome
What's he asking for the car? You never said, and it sounds like you had a wide range between $35k and $45k. Rather than guessing, see what he's asking. You'd hate to offer $45 if it turns out he was only asking $42. If he's asking $50, then you know he's not in the same ballpark. Ultimately, you should offer what you feel is the right price for the car, but if you're worried about insulting him then ask him to name his price first.
Well we were simply talking about the car, I was showing intereste and he was talking about wanting to add a 993 Turbo or a carrera cup car to his stable. This was all while at the track at a PCA event. One thing lead to another and he said that he'd put a packet of information on the car together and send it to me. I asked what he wanted for the car and it took him a second to reply "I don't know.....50?"...in a questioning tone like he really didn't know on the spot what the car was worth.

So I'm figuring that our initial conversations are just that...he's of the mindset that he wants to sell but also in the position that he doesn't need to...hell his wife drove this car to the track and they brought a 993 race car to the track in an enclosed trailor behind a 40 ft. motorhome. I'm sure he's not desperate for money BUT when he threw out the $50K figure I'm not too sure that he wasn't just tossing out a high number to do just that.

I hope to have all the information about the car in hand Monday or Tuesday at which point I'll better determine if this is really a car worth spending 40-42K on or not. I think that you guys here have helped to convince me that anything over that is just not a good price.

There is another car as I previously stated that I'm likely going to look at on Monday (5 hours away though)...Aero Package, black on black and 18' turbo look wheels...but it has no other options, no sport, no xenon, no full leather, and while I know I can likely buy the car for 34-35 I'm a bit more hesitant about a high mile car esp since it will nearly immediatly need it's 60K service. The owner admiditly states there's no dings or dents but that the front is badly rock chipped and he recommends a respray of the front bumper.
Old 10-07-2005 | 11:29 AM
dmgcfg
Advanced

Wow, $50K? I paid that for a stock '02 with 20K miles and 2 yrs of warranty left - 18 months ago. In spite of the mods and what they would cost to do if you were to buy a "virgin" '99, I would tell the guy he's dreaming......and move on. As someone said, there is a good supply of cars out there. In the northern US, you also will find guys selling cars rather than storing them for the winter. Buy over the next few months, not in the spring. And if you can afford $45-$50K, I would go find an '02 (3.6L = more HP!).
Old 10-07-2005 | 03:49 PM
dallasboats
Pro

$40k-$42k if you like the car and it's clean with low miles seems very reasonable. Coil overs, wheels, power adds, will cost a great deal more than that............ If you like it buy it. Start low and work your way up if required......
Old 10-07-2005 | 03:52 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Originally Posted by dmgcfg
Wow, $50K? I paid that for a stock '02 with 20K miles and 2 yrs of warranty left - 18 months ago. In spite of the mods and what they would cost to do if you were to buy a "virgin" '99, I would tell the guy he's dreaming......and move on. As someone said, there is a good supply of cars out there. In the northern US, you also will find guys selling cars rather than storing them for the winter. Buy over the next few months, not in the spring. And if you can afford $45-$50K, I would go find an '02 (3.6L = more HP!).

What is your car worth now?
Old 10-07-2005 | 03:55 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Originally Posted by RJMDAD996
35K MAX, 99 has less power and a couple of bugs. Mods are a personal choice, it should not be a buying decision... Good Luck

Even better, your car looks awesome and Targa's are hard to find! How much for your car? What's it worth? It looks great!
Old 10-07-2005 | 03:55 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Dallas, great looking car man...care to point me towards a few full size pictures of your car?
Old 10-07-2005 | 04:09 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Thanks Audi, the car your shopping would bring an easy $40k on ebay if everthing is right so I don't think I'd worry too much about it. Many people will be more than happy to payup for a car that's been setup well. As for $35k, maybe a box stock non aero car, but not the car you are describing.
Old 10-08-2005 | 05:04 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Just what I thought, both of those dolts won't step up to the plate. CRAWDADS. Call it as you see it.

Audi, buy what you want, don't listen to some of these blowhards.
Old 10-09-2005 | 04:03 PM
dmgcfg
Advanced

Originally Posted by dallasboats
What is your car worth now?
Probably more than what I paid for it - I've put about $8K into it (GT3 rims, new tires, Boothe caps, full carbon fiber, Fabspeed muffles, new radio, red belts coming). Although when my warranty expires next June, I expect it will take a hit.

Quick Reply: What is a fair offer on this car