Sponsored by:

AIR in coolant system question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 12:29 PM
nsx4pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR in coolant system question

I currently have another post regarding coolant level and temperature issues and I didnt want to add this question to that post.

It was pointed out that air in the coolant system can lead to higher than normal operating temps as indicated by the temp gauge in the dash. I wanted to learn the logic or science behind this. Why does air in the system cause it to run hotter? I would appreciate if someone could answer this. Simple terms are cool, dont need hardcore technical details

Thanx, Peter
Old 10-01-2005, 01:25 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nsx4pete
I currently have another post regarding coolant level and temperature issues and I didnt want to add this question to that post.

It was pointed out that air in the coolant system can lead to higher than normal operating temps as indicated by the temp gauge in the dash. I wanted to learn the logic or science behind this. Why does air in the system cause it to run hotter? I would appreciate if someone could answer this. Simple terms are cool, dont need hardcore technical details

Thanx, Peter
Based on what you said in your previous post, your engine temps ARE NORMAL for the 3.4 engine. NOT high, but NORMAL. The 3.4 will regularly run with coolant temps of 215 and higher in 90 degree temps when driving around town.

How did the pressure test turn out?
Old 10-01-2005, 03:01 PM
nsx4pete
Instructor

1999 Porsche 911, you respond so fast, i love it!!!
I ended up leaving the bleeder valve open all night and when I tested this morning, of course no hissing noise. So I did like you said and closed the valve, ran the engine for about 15 minutes (until the engine was indicating normal temps, the needle between the 8 and 0). I turned off the engine. so far it has been 3 hours. I am going to wait 2 more hours (1 pm pst) and then test. I will post of the results at that time. I do really hope it is that simple of an issue.
I know you stated that my temps are normal given the air temp and all. but the thing is didnt do it before. it was better BEFORE the change in the reservoir tank. At that time the needle played a little but the light never turned on.

Thanx, Peter
Old 10-01-2005, 05:42 PM
nsx4pete
Instructor

Well, it has been five hours since I turned off the engine and when I went to open the expansion tank cap there was in fact some hissing, not a lot, but there was some pressure release. I suspect that if i had attempted to open the cap at the 2 or 3 hour mark instead of 5 hours, then there would be a marked increase in pressure. I am going to drive the car again, get it up to temp, park, ensure valve is closed and test again in 2 or 3 hours this time and check for pressure amount. I am hopeful at this point that I dont have leak. Any feedback?

thanx, Peter

Quick Reply: AIR in coolant system question