Sponsored by:

Brake Wear Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ 996
TD, where did you source those brake ducts from? I've thought about this too, another thing that might work is fenestrated inner fenderwell from a C4S which directs more airflow to the brakes.
I've seen melted sensors before as well, C4S Surgeon had like 3 of 4 sensors melted when we did his brakes. The excess heat can come from heavy braking on a high speed track w/ OEM pads, thin pads, spent brake fluid, or all of the above.
Doug,

I got mine from Suncoast: http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=996brakes

I altered them a little to direct the air flow more efficiently. They snap right on with no tools necessary. I have had no problems with tires rubbing on them, although I have heard some people do.

I was using stock brake pads when I melted my sensors. I moved to PF after that. I am back to stock now that it is a street queen.

TD
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eli,
How hard is it to remove the cluster to get at the light? Is it really just a 30 minute job? Do you know of a good write up on how to do it?
Scott
Old 09-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Scott,

I have some photos that I have ready to put together a tech artical for the site, I'll shot them over to you if you promise not to repost them..... Sorry I haven't done the write up yet but I can walk you through if you have questions. About 20 photos in all....

eli@pelicanparts.com

-Eli
Old 10-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the cluster is not hard. We do it all the time when we retrofit the OBC because you need to add 4 wires to one of the connectors on the back of the cluster.

There are lots of Boxster instructions out there. The only difference with a 996 is that a 996 has the oval trim piece around the hazard switch that a Boxster does not have.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Scott MacDonald
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. I'll give it a shot. Gona miss the electrical tape, though.
Scott

Quick Reply: Brake Wear Sensor Question