996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Factory PSE, where's the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

If the manual defeat switch was a running change in 2002/2003 build years, that would explain why the PSE wiring harness has 2 sets of cables that are mated at the PSE relay block.

In that case, it is a simple task of ordering another PSE wiring harness (P/N 996 612 978 00) for under $20, and a dash switch ($25), and plugging it into the relay block. The switch wire harness has 4 wires on it, which provide the on/off signal, and switch illumination. I have all of the wiring directions and schematics is anyone is interested.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:56 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orient Express,

Thanks for the pics.

My car has the diverter valves in place. Looks like they have some type of servo actuater arm on them. Can't really say they are in the same position as shown in your photo?

If you are referring to the gray switch to the right of the pwr steering with the orange/tan plug in, yes I have that item too. I did notice that the vacume tubing is not quite the same routing, however, it apears to have a similar setup.

Also on my cars build codes under the luggage lid, it does not show the code for sport exhaust? However, there is one code in the 400 series that I was unable to account for.

When you excelerate this car, it seems as though the sound is somewhat mellow until reaching over 4500 rpm. At idle is sounds louder then a stock C2. Does this sound like the normal PSE?

Thanks for any and all help.

Tom L
Old 09-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

The exhaust electronics are designed to quiet the exhaust somewhere between 30 and 45 mph. The quieting is speed dependent not RPM dependent. See if you see a difference at those speeds.

Sounds like everything is in place, all you need is the manual over-ride switch. It should be easy to retrofit the car, all you need is the wiring harness, and the switch. it is probably a 2 hour job tops.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:26 PM
mc_sahib32
Advanced

Is motor sound package the same as PSE? I got the motor sound package it is loud but it didn't has the switch.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

The Motor Sound Packages were for the 993 cars.

There are 2 versions,

One is an airbox mod

The other are free-flo mufflers

Porsche Sport Exhaust are mufflers for the 996 that have a movable baffle to change the sound.

Thanks to Gert for these pictures.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
mc_sahib32
Advanced

thank for your information. Look like i am another PSE owner than don't has the switch. mine is a 2002 C2.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:36 PM
mc_sahib32
Advanced

so without the switch, the muffer will or will not get quieter around 30-45mph?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mc_sahib32
so without the switch, the muffer will or will not get quieter around 30-45mph?
Without the switch, it WILL quiet itself between 30 & 45 automatically. For cars without the switch, the switch CAN be retrofitted by installing the switch and newer cable harness. And with that it can be made quiet any time you want.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:10 AM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Can you make it loud all the time? What would you have to do in order to take away the quieting between 30-45 mph?

Actually, I think the PSE is rather quiet. Just enough to tell the engine is there. However, my wife was behind me on the freeway when I opened it up, and she said that it was very loud. I quess from inside the cockpit you lose some of the effect?

Tom L
Old 09-25-2005, 12:09 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dirtrack49
Can you make it loud all the time? What would you have to do in order to take away the quieting between 30-45 mph?

Actually, I think the PSE is rather quiet. Just enough to tell the engine is there. However, my wife was behind me on the freeway when I opened it up, and she said that it was very loud. I quess from inside the cockpit you lose some of the effect?

Tom L

yes you can.

mine has the switch and there is no cut-off between 30-45 mph. i took the car to an OPC and they did the "cheat" for me.....(and still under porsche warranty. nothing to worry about) they told me that is just a cut on a wire wich controls this.very simple.)

concerning the sound your wife is absolutelly right. let someone else to drive ur car (if you don't mind) and follow him......you will be pleased....

and something that you should experience......
unfortunetelly my english are not that good to describe it but i will try and some of you you will correct me.
THE most amazing sound of the PSE is when you rev ur to the rev-limiter and then you change gear....sometimes you might be able to hear the backfire? (is this the correct word? pls correct me)
if you did understand what i mean then you will be pleased again!!!!!!

try it
Old 09-25-2005, 08:02 PM
dirtrack49
Instructor

Thanks Harris, I will try it.

I bet your english is 100 % better then my greek?

Cheers,
Tom L
Old 01-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Tom Loder
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
If the manual defeat switch was a running change in 2002/2003 build years, that would explain why the PSE wiring harness has 2 sets of cables that are mated at the PSE relay block.

In that case, it is a simple task of ordering another PSE wiring harness (P/N 996 612 978 00) for under $20, and a dash switch ($25), and plugging it into the relay block. The switch wire harness has 4 wires on it, which provide the on/off signal, and switch illumination. I have all of the wiring directions and schematics is anyone is interested.
I realize this is a very old thread. @Orient Express if you still have those directions handy to add the factory switch I would appreciate them. I just bought a set of mufflers and the install kit from Carnewal for my 1999 996 but it came with an aftermarket switch that I would prefer not to use.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:16 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 649 Posts

Another wake from the dead, appropriately in October.

I've been digging around for more information about PSE and learned about the button. My 996 targa with 06-2002 build date has PSE from the factory, but no button. Based on what I read I decided to look a little more and found that I have the wiring, but there is a blank in the horseshoe in place of the switch. (Yes I am going to order one!)

Old 11-12-2021, 12:11 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

FWIW,, my 2003 has the switch but you turn it ON to make the car quiet and OFF to make it louder.. That supposedly reversed by the end of the 03 model year.. ??

Haven't been able to positively verify that its not due to something fubar in the plumbing..
Old 11-12-2021, 10:18 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,194 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
FWIW,, my 2003 has the switch but you turn it ON to make the car quiet and OFF to make it louder.. That supposedly reversed by the end of the 03 model year.. ??

Haven't been able to positively verify that its not due to something fubar in the plumbing..
That's how mine works too (2002). Power is required to close the vacuum-operated flaps. No power = flaps open, 'sport mode' sound.

I pretty much leave the exhaust in sport mode, but then I live in a rural area. I quiet things down coming in and out of my little neighborhood, and when I park at the local library. Otherwise its vroom-vroom all the time.

Quick Reply: Factory PSE, where's the switch?