Sponsored by:

Paint both fenders for $350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:09 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint both fenders for $350?

My car is in the shop having it's bumper and hood painted thru my insurance claim. The body shop asked if I wanted the fenders sanded and repainted to rid of the rock chips. Would you say yes or decline and why?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:12 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
My car is in the shop having it's bumper and hood painted thru my insurance claim. The body shop asked if I wanted the fenders sanded and repainted to rid of the rock chips. Would you say yes or decline and why?
Hey, how old is your car? Looks like a 2000 or 2001. I would fight the insurance company and try to get the fenders painted too. I mean, if you're painting the hood you should really pain the fenders too and get the fenders and the hood blended to color match.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Have to agree as well. But, $350 for painting of the fenders is REALLY cheap. Why so cheap? That would throw up red flags for me. Are they just charging for materials?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:19 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I have a 2000, and it was a fight to get the hood done. Think about it, I ran over a tire retread, the battle over the hood is what had my car sitting at the shop for an extra week..

I'm doing the best I can man...

Originally Posted by programmatore
Hey, how old is your car? Looks like a 2000 or 2001. I would fight the insurance company and try to get the fenders painted too. I mean, if you're painting the hood you should really pain the fenders too and get the fenders and the hood blended to color match.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I asked what the paint process is at that point he indicated that they will slowly sand the paint down on some machince so as not to warp anything blah blah blah.. we can't just spray over the chips because eventually the paint will pit into the chip indents...yada yada yada. Also, I assume it's cheap because they can probably get the paint all for 1 price since they have to paint the hood and bumper. My thought is, why waste it(extra paint) when we can get another $350 bucks for it off this $1,700 paint job.

Originally Posted by LVDell
Have to agree as well. But, $350 for painting of the fenders is REALLY cheap. Why so cheap? That would throw up red flags for me. Are they just charging for materials?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say paint it. The price is right. I think you will regret it if you don't.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Oh hell, why not paint the WHOLE CAR for $199?

$350 is way too low for the right amount of labor involved. I'd be a bit cautious.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-19-2005, 07:08 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd do it but only if the shop will prep it (and it certainly sounds like they are doing it). If this is a repuatable shop, I would not hesitate. If this shop is used by your local Porsche dealer, it's a good sign. Also check what kind of cars are being done there. If you see a lot of cabs or police cars, stay the hell away. If you see nice cars, check their work. Your insurance can't dictate which shop you go so I always use the one the dealer uses since they are familiar with Porsche and have a better reputation in general.

After the paint is fully dry in a week or two, I'd put a clear bra on it. Respray are very susceptable to rock chips (generally worst than original paint).
Old 09-19-2005, 08:04 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Caveat emptor!!

$350.00 is way to cheap to paint two Porsche Fenders. Remember you get what you pay for.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:17 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

The insurance company didn't recommend this shop. I refused to go to the shop the insurance company recommended so when I had my coolant resevoir replaced, at the local dealership, I asked them where they send their cars. They recomended a shop right around the corner from the dealership. This lot has only 996's(I guess 996's drivers suck lol!)) and BMW's in the fence.

Originally Posted by djantlive
I'd do it but only if the shop will prep it (and it certainly sounds like they are doing it). If this is a repuatable shop, I would not hesitate. If this shop is used by your local Porsche dealer, it's a good sign. Also check what kind of cars are being done there. If you see a lot of cabs or police cars, stay the hell away. If you see nice cars, check their work. Your insurance can't dictate which shop you go so I always use the one the dealer uses since they are familiar with Porsche and have a better reputation in general.

After the paint is fully dry in a week or two, I'd put a clear bra on it. Respray are very susceptable to rock chips (generally worst than original paint).
Old 09-19-2005, 08:18 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

How much labor is involved? Remember they have my bumper and hood off.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Oh hell, why not paint the WHOLE CAR for $199?

$350 is way too low for the right amount of labor involved. I'd be a bit cautious.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

How much labor is involved? Remember they have my bumper and hood off.
It's all in the prep. If they shortcut the prep, the paint will look like crap. A real pro will take their time. I can't tell you how much time unless I saw the car. But the overall quote is very low.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:28 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never go with the lowest bidder when repainting your car. Low usually equates to Crap.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:13 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I agreed to the $350 yesterday, fyi.

I called him today to get a bit more information. Number one I won't get the car until next week, which makes it week number 4. I can't believe I'm paying a car note for a car I haven't driven since Labor Day(2005 is the first year I've paid a car note since 2001, weird fealing).

The shop specializes in Audi, BMW, Porsche, VW.
The guy overseeing my car told me the following today:

There were preexisting rock chips and the insurance company knows it, he said.

He asked for 3hrs per part(Hood and Lt Fender) for prep but they are only giving 1.5 to prep the area for the tire retread scratches.

He indicated it's a long and tedious process in preping(which I mentioned before).

He said typically shops use a chemical stripping process but he didn't want the chemicals to roll or drip down into other area's of the car.

He stated that the insurance has paid for the paint already and most of the prep. .

My $350 is to fill in the gap for the rest of the prep (not paint) which includes removing the headlight for the RT fender and rock chips which is not included in the claim at all and the rock chip prep areas on the hood and LT fenders.

According to the Estimate originally given to me, my insurance company pays $34hr for prep. and were originally giving 4.2 hrs for prep. I have no idea what the paint shop's supplement is.

He also mentioned "I understand your questions about the $350 but if you came off the streets to have those 3 parts done, it would cost you big bucks" "luckily, in your case, insurance paid for most of this work".

Anymore questions I should ask?

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
It's all in the prep. If they shortcut the prep, the paint will look like crap. A real pro will take their time. I can't tell you how much time unless I saw the car. But the overall quote is very low.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:17 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

OK, but there was no bidding. I asked the dealership where to go.

Originally Posted by dallasboats
Never go with the lowest bidder when repainting your car. Low usually equates to Crap.

Quick Reply: Paint both fenders for $350?