Three Wheelin'

1999Porsche911 that's a great idea...
Old 09-14-2005 | 02:24 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by perfectlap
if everyone just says "do a search" and everyone follows this advice
Welcome to Rennlist, you would love the 993 forum. Usually its someone that has never even changed their oil that screams, "do a search" in response to question about replacing valve guides. A lot of people seem to forget that not everyone knows how to construct a boolean search string or even what keywords (see 1999Porsche911's suggestion) to use. Then you have the seven different names/slang for a car part because every country calls it something different and non-obvious. The words "do a search" should be banned from Rennlist but if they are not users should be required to post an http link to a relevant thread. If you know what to look for it should take just as long as typing "do a search" and it will make this place a lot more useful for everyone. And, if you don't want to bother helping than don't post anything at all, no one requires you to post a message, especially "do a search." For some reason members here forget what it was like when they first started posting, I know when I started asking questions (mid-nineties) the responses were not "do a search." Someone bothered to take a minute of their day and write a reply that actually helped me.
Old 09-14-2005 | 02:31 AM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Amen!
Old 09-14-2005 | 08:28 AM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

what he said
Old 09-14-2005 | 08:45 AM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

you don't beat a monkey, you spank a monkey, different forum.
Old 09-14-2005 | 08:48 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
A lot of people seem to forget that not everyone knows how to construct a boolean search string or even what keywords (see 1999Porsche911's suggestion) to use. Then you have the seven different names/slang for a car part because every country calls it something different and non-obvious. The words "do a search" should be banned from Rennlist but if they are not users should be required to post an http link to a relevant thread. If you know what to look for it should take just as long as typing "do a search" and it will make this place a lot more useful for everyone. And, if you don't want to bother helping than don't post anything at all, no one requires you to post a message, especially "do a search." For some reason members here forget what it was like when they first started posting, I know when I started asking questions (mid-nineties) the responses were not "do a search." Someone bothered to take a minute of their day and write a reply that actually helped me.
Granted that I made an assumption that everyone knew how to select the search button on top of the page, and maybe there are some posters who don't. The point I was making was that this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, and if you conduct a search on RMS in the post tittle, you'll find ten pages of RMS threads and literally hundreds of posts.
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:10 AM
snarf
Instructor

Default How much cause for concern?

As a prospective 997s purchaser I decided to check-out a few Porsche discussion sites. This whole RMS thing has me a little worried. How concerned should I be, does anyone know what % of cars are afflicted and should I get my dealer to underwrite any problems before I sign a purchase contract?

Any views
Old 09-14-2005 | 09:37 AM
mjb2448
Racer

The monkey issue is of little or no consequence as from my own experience, as an amature cage fighter, they tend to lead with their right and have little or no power or reach.

Quick Reply: Rear main seal