Sponsored by:

Best Oil Weight for a 2000 996?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 08:46 PM
jeev
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil Weight for a 2000 996?

Hey all - Just picked up a 2000 996 with the aero kit (pic's will be here soon) and I want to change the oil. Going to use mobil 1 but curious on the weight? I live in Las Vegas so it almost never gets below freezing.... Manual says 10W40 or 15W40 but I know some are running 0W40?

Thanks!
jeev
Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 PM
agio
Racer

Well, I think whatever Porsche recommends, is probably the best idea. Having said that, my 02 996 had 0/40, but smoked when started after hard driving. I went to 15/40 on a recommendation that this heavier oil might reduce the "puffing." The jury is still out, but it continues to smoke under the above circumstances.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:05 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

At least 5w50 without question. Personally, I run 15W50 in the summer here in Chicago and have for 6 years and 50,000 miles and I would run it all year round in Sin City.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:53 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I would do Mobile one 20/50w Euro blend.

If the car was babied when new - the rings may not be fully seated. A 20W would bypass less than a 0W or 5W.

Anything less than 15W could have environmental additives. I don't know if that's better or worse.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:05 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I forgot this...

Since manual was printed Mobil One has produced more products. US mobil One is a dino based psuedo syn. and a environmental oil (but not over the 15W lower range).

You are in an extreme weather zone (your summers), the manual expects average temperatures.

It is the nature of Boxer engines to leave oil residual in the chamber that blows out on the next start up.

My Pepper takes 0W/40 but has a different metalurgy (Silicone impregnated aluminum- alusil). The 911's have a nickel coated or silicone surround chamber with aluminium block.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:31 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Porsche says 0W-40, so I go with that in both my 911 and my 955 Pepper and I am here in Vegas as well. Not to mention that is what Mobil rec'd on their website based on car type and model and they have no interest in trying to sell you one over the other since the price is the same.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Price is higher on the Euro blend (which is the original Mobil 1 syn). The dino blend competes with castrol psuedo syn.

The Euro standard is higher than the US standard. Some experts say there isn't a lubrication difference.

I wouldn't use 0W-40 in my 911 in SF, but would in winter Tahoe. My choice.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:30 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Tangental to thread topic, but may be of interest... I love oil threads - all this BS and it probably doesn't make a difference if you change every 5K.

"Hi,
it is important that you compare the specifications of the oil you use. You may find this link of interest;

http://www.landsharkoz.com/techtips.htm

Check under "Lubricants for the 928"

Use only the oil specification mentioned in your handbook for your vehicle!

As a very simple and basic explanation, there are effectively five Groups of lubricants. Group 1 and 2 are basic mineral basestocks. Group 3 is a "hydrocracked" mineralbase stock that reaches into Group 4 which is typicaly a PAO blend synthetic. Group 5 is fully synthetic and uses primarily expensive Esters of various types and etc. The argument was whether a Group 3 mineral could be labled a "synthetic" oil! Castrol won the courtcase and Mobil won the battle because Castrol's once expensive and overpriced Group 3 products have since been viewed as a suspicious rip off. Their market share has fallen as well. Castrol is now a part of the BP-ARAL group of companies

Mobil's excellent M1 SuperSyn range are variously either Group 4 or 5 products. Some of Castrol's products are supposedly too - but you be the judge which they are!

In buying synthetics you get what you pay for and Group 4 and 5 are much more sophisticated in their formulation and are more expensive to produce

ExxonMobil, ChevronCaltex and Shell are now revisiting the Group 3 area and are developing very advance basestocks via new hydrocracking techniques. These advanced mineral oils (can be called synthetics courtesy of Castrol/Mobil's stouch) will be cheaper than Group 4 and 5 synthetics. Shell's Helix Ultra synthetic range are produced via this process (Xtra High Viscosity Index - XHVI) and are used very successfully by Ferrari in F1

Some of these products are being sold to smaller oil companies and blenders and most will use the proprietery trademark name

Regards
05 Mercedes Benz CLK180 Touchshift
Doug Hillary is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Doug Hillary
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Doug Hillary
Send email to Doug Hillary
Find More Posts by Doug Hillary
Add Doug Hillary to Your Buddy List
Old 09-01-2004, 02:56 AM "

Quick Reply: Best Oil Weight for a 2000 996?