996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question Re: New Bumper Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:39 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, go with RUF or GT2 bumper like Karlooz. Can't go wrong...
Old 09-13-2005, 02:28 PM
aben8057
Drifting

I personally love the Techart style but you need to update the fender and headlight assembly to accommodate pre-02 models.

I could only imagine the thought of your paperboy being pursued by that front bumper while doing his route...
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

Does anyone know where i can get the Gt3/Aerokit front bumper. also how much would that set me back. I don't want to get the whole factory aero kit but i do love the front end.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:21 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oscypek
Does anyone know where i can get the Gt3/Aerokit front bumper. also how much would that set me back. I don't want to get the whole factory aero kit but i do love the front end.
Come on, newbie, you know the rules. You have to post pictures of your car! ;-)

As far as sources for the Aerokit I bumper, check with the usual sources. Carnewal (http://www.carnewal-europe.com), Sunset Imports in Oregon (http://www.sunsetimports.com), Brandywine Porsche in Pennsylvania (http://brandywine.porschedealer.com/) and Suncoast Motorsports in Florida (http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?) along with your local dealer (hey, there is a slim chance they can offer a good deal) and other online shops.

I would recommend getting the side skirts to match the bumper. You can skip the wing but the side skirts will really complement the bumper and complete the "lines".
Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Oscypek
Instructor

thanks for the reply and ill get pics of my car once i finally get a good camera its a 2000 carrera coupe just got two weeks ago sunday ill also think about the side skirts but first i have to get one of thoughs flip up screens in the dash. i always wanted one and finally found a car that it would look good in
Old 09-15-2005, 02:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Got a better suggesstion........Instead of spending $1500 on a flip screen spend it on PSE and you will NEVER think twice about the decision. Listening to the sweet note of PSE is so intoxicating. I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to the radio.

Either way, looking forward to your pics!!!! We are picture ****** around here in case you haven't figured that out
Old 09-15-2005, 03:00 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LVDell
Here you go.
Very clean and classy. I like it!!! For some reason, I'm partial to the GT3 aero bits unless you've got a really wild monster. Is that from a GT3 Mk1? Is there a 3rd radiator cutout?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mk1 is correct and has the cutout for the 3rd rad just haven't installed it yet. Probably will soon, but not anytime soon. Thanks for the compliments. Gotta love that ARENA RED!!!!

The GT3 front and the side skirts really changed the look of the car. Subtle, yet agressive
Old 09-21-2005, 08:04 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

no offense intended, but that RUF bumper looks like *** (especially for what they charge) and the GT3 bumper is kind of plain.

just update the fenders and headlights, then you can put whatever bumper you want on there. it'll give you a lot more options. the whole front end will look a whole lot better. you should be able to find the fenders fairly cheap at salvage sites. the headlights aren't too bad either if you don't go with litronics.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:17 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog95
no offense intended, but that RUF bumper looks like *** (especially for what they charge) and the GT3 bumper is kind of plain.

just update the fenders and headlights, then you can put whatever bumper you want on there. it'll give you a lot more options. the whole front end will look a whole lot better. you should be able to find the fenders fairly cheap at salvage sites. the headlights aren't too bad either if you don't go with litronics.
I am not offended that you don't like the RUF aerokit. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I happen to think that a quality polyurethane bumper from a respected Porsche tuner is greate while some people think a cheap fiberglass bumper from a company called Anziano's whose slogan is "Bad Boy Cars" is da bomb.

No, what offends me is how some people use the phrase "no offense intended" (or the other often abused phrase "just kidding") as a license to say anything they want without regard for tactfulness. There are so many other adjectives you could have used: ugly, unacttractive, oversized, etc. but you chose ***? Come on.

By the way, how is you Anziano's bumper holding up?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:54 AM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts

Very good points Programmatore! Well said.

I noticed you're local, like GT4, and I think I saw your car on that drive to the Ferrari event at the Shenandoah track. I don't think I've seen you at any of the local Porsche club events at summit though. are you interested in coming to the track as a driver? I know of a couple good events that are looking for registrants. They are a bit more low key than the local PCA region events but are quite good. Any interest?

-KJ
Old 09-21-2005, 12:22 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

well, when i said ***, i really wanted to say "****". i thought i was toning it down some. that bumper really looks awful. the lines seem awkward and choppy. sorry. for the money, techart and even oem looks worlds better. i know it's got the RUF name, but I've never been a big fan of their bodywork. at least your car will stand out from the pack, as I've never even seen one at any of the porsche meets here in FL.

as far as my bumper, i have an oem turbo front and it's holding up just fine.

with regards to my anziano rear turbo look bumper, it's still aces. no probs at all. fit was great and it looks very very similar to oem. much better than the NR and MASHAW variations. it did require a decent amount of prep to really smooth it out for painting though, but such is aftermarket. i've seen techart bumpers that required about a day or prep to get them right. i agree that anziano's slogan is awful. sounds very ricey, but they do make a good produc that looks very close to oemt. not to mention it's probably 1/3 of what you paid for that RUF bumper. i'd by it all over again. i don't think you need to be a "tuner" to make decent body work. it's certainly not rocket science.

i'm not sure what the hype is with regards to urethane and fiberglass. urethane will absorb an impact much better without a doubt, but either way, my expensive german car is going back into the shop for paint work after such an impact regardless of whether or not the bumper is dented. not too mention that the glass is much lighter than urethane and isn't prone to high temp drooping, as the NR GT2 bumpers have been reported as doing. it's also a lot easier to repair glass than urethane as well.

but to each his own. that's what makes the world an interesting place. please don't be offended. if you post something on the board, you have to take the good with the bad.

on a more positive note, the lltek (spelling?) was kind of nice. it's almost like they copied the RUF design and really smoothed it out. wouldn't buy it, but it's not too bad.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:39 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

here's a couple shots of mine so you can throw a little back my way i can take it. some people really hate the vents under the plate. i could go either way. i don't love them, but they don't bother me much either. kind of sets it apart from oem some. i think they had to do it so that they didn't get sued by porsche. it looks like the molded it off an oem bumper and added the tag vents. i do like the oem front bumper though. porsche really did it right on that one.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:10 PM
tentster
Intermediate

Deputy, truly a beautiful car. I am in the process of setting mine up pretty much the same (although it's hard top). Looks like the narrow body, what type of wing is that, havent seen the turbo type wing for the narrow body. The rear turbo bumper really makes the narrow body seem wider. As far as the slits at the bottom, also can go either way, sometimes I look at it and think would look better without, but, sometimes i think i looks kind of trick. The front bumper looks great with the rounded Aero 1 skirts.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:27 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Thanks man. The spoiler was also purchased at anziano's. Fit and finish are pretty good. Although you can buy the same spoiler from MASHAW, Getty, and a couple other places. There is one guy somewhere making it for all of them. I went with anziano's because i was buying the rear bumper and he gave me a pretty good deal on the package. You can lock the spoiler in either the up or down position. You can have the tag vents filled if you like, I just chose not to. One thing I like about the skirts and bumper is that they are about the same height. Always looks awful when the bumper is much higher than the skirts.

Quick Reply: Question Re: New Bumper Options