Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Permanent transmission problem on my Carrera 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 06:22 AM
gbkkc4s
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Permanent transmission problem on my Carrera 4S?

Ever since I bought my dream car, an 02 plate Porsche Carrera 4S Coupe a few months ago, I am constantly hearing a mysterious 'clunk' noise whenever I release the clutch after changing the gear ( sometimes just by pressing the clutch on the move). My local Porsche Centre has fitted a new gearbox, a new clutch plate and a pressure plate, but the noise won't go away. Although my car is booked in for yet another inspection, I am beginning to lose faith in my local Porsche Centre. What is causing this noise and how can it be cured? Has anyone encountered similar problem before? Lastly, I would like to know if it is possible to ask technicians from the Porsche headquarters to check what the problem is.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i sometimes hear that thunk comming out of first gear. i think is just a matter of rapidly unloading the transmission, maybe a noise comming from the diff. if i shift like a sane person, nice and slow for city driving, then i don't hear it. if i shift like schumacher then on occasion i hear it.

it seems to be a matter of how you treat ur components. my car drives fine despite the noise.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
gbkkc4s
3rd Gear

It happens no matter how gently I release the clutch and it happens on all 6 gears, most notably on 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. It is kind of similar to the noise you hear when you switch the engine off, but it's definately coming from underneath, somewhere on the left. It gets very annoying after a while!!!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
gbkkc4s
3rd Gear

Plus, my friend's c4s doesn't seem to have my problem...
Old 08-30-2005, 12:08 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Never heard of it......anyone thought of a front linkage-differential issue?

Yes, you can ask that your next scheduled service be timed to coincide with the next visit of the PCNA Zone rep.....not a bad idea to know his name.
Having said that, Zone reps are not necessarily more technically savy than an experienced technition, as their roll often is just helping with warranty 'calls' etc....however they are exposed to whats happenening across the board & up on any TSBs.

Quick Reply: Permanent transmission problem on my Carrera 4S?