Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Friggin badge lifter...sorry just a vent (and maybe a helpful tip)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:49 PM
LedZec
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Friggin badge lifter...sorry just a vent (and maybe a helpful tip)

Just a vent -- someone stole the badge off my hood at the Hollywood Bowl last night. At least they didn't appear to have damaged the paint around it. Anyone know how they are affixed? Easy to replace by yourself? They left behind two metal bumps I assume are somehow affixed behind the hood?

[FYI & OT -- I was parked in a private lot behind the American Legion (I think) on Highland. They have a guard, but he watches TV all night. Great lot, but I won't park there again.]

RT: One other attempted vandalism on my car was a large glob of what was either (1) superglue or (2) the clearest tree sap I have ever seen (and you don't see much tree sap falling in a Comp USA parking lot in Torrance). I didn't see it until I came home and by then the base had started to congeal. I knew I had to do something quickly...

Anyway, not knowing what the hell to do, I diluted with water some of the orange-based cleaner our maid uses on glass and stuff and lightly scrubbed with a washcloth, keeping it very moist, until I eventually got it all off. Slight scuff marks in the clearcoat, but buffed out nicely. Might work in a pinch for others, but cannot guarantee...

Old 08-29-2005, 06:52 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Bummer. There are two sheetmetal nuts that attach under the hood. The posts on the badge aren't really threaded... the sheetmetal nuts cut into the post. good news is that's why your hood is intact.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Neighbor
Instructor

Sucks. Now how could anyone do that to a car? That just ticks me off. I don't even mistreat rental cars (okay, maybe). Certainly not a porsche! They'll get their's. Glad you were able to get the spooge out.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:08 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2 bumps are the mounting studs which have been broken off from the back of the crest. You have to get the studs out to replace the crest.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:45 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

ohhhhh....i get it. duh.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

We can help with replacement silver shields if needed. Email me for special pricing:

eric@bumperplugs.com

Can't believe idiots do this sort of stuff.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-30-2005, 01:18 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The studs (on a new emblem) can be broken off easily...even by tightening the fasteners too much. Also put the gasket in hot water or heat it so that it is pliable enough to fit evenly around the edges of the emblem. Ask me how I know!

Quick Reply: Friggin badge lifter...sorry just a vent (and maybe a helpful tip)