Sponsored by:

BYE,BYE FERRARI HELLO 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:06 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kc996
He just sold his 99 996 and bought a 86 328.
K
I hope you're kidding, the Magnum PI edition? Yuk. It's gotta come with a hairy chest and Mr T. starter kit right?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:11 PM
911Carrera3.6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I can join this discussion with some good feedback...my very good friend owned a 98' F355 Berlinetta F1....I have driven it many many times myself.....nice car, u could even call it "a work of art" like many other ferrari models.....BUT, you could also call it a "piece of sh*t" like many other ferrari models, lol. Seriously, that car was the most pristine example of a 355 you could find...4K orginal miles, one owner, no accidients or paint work, all up to date on services....the thing litterally had a check engine light or mechanical issue EVERY OTHER time u took it out....it costed my friend $8,000 in bull**** maintance at the ferrari dealer over the nine month period he owned the thing...he finally had enough when the check engine light came on and the paddle shifter refused to go into gear one day after it had a $2000 service performed on it and was deemed a clean bill of health by the dealership....I heard very similar stories of various other ferrari models as well.....older ones aren't worth the headache in my opinion...all of them will get there doors blown off by even a mildly modded up newer 996 C2 or any turbo 911, so lets not even look at "actual" performance (mystic aside).

I say, if you've REALLY had a hard on to own a ferrari your whole life and you own two or three other cars (AND another "real" high performance sportscar) with enough cash reserve to cover the related expenses of ferrari ownership (high maintance costs, garaunteed unscheduled repair costs**, etc..) then go for it!!!

--- Kevin
Old 08-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rented a 360 Modena with F1 shifter last week in Montreal.
WHAT A PIECE OF ****!!!!
Granted it was a rental and people might have abused it, but the acceleration sucked, the shifting sucked. Handling was awsome, brakes were good., and of course, it looked and sounded phenomenal.
People were stopping and staring all the time, while I was thinking "if they only knew what a POS it is"
Old 08-30-2005, 03:39 PM
mikey175
Racer

I've never owned a Ferrari but, like many here, fantasize about owning one at some point. At the risk of oversimplifying, consider the country and cultural attributes of where these machines are built. I love British and Italian suits but, when it comes to mechanicals, the closest I will come to owning a Ferrari is a scale replica on my shelf...much cheaper and more enjoyable to admire!

-- Michael
Old 08-30-2005, 04:28 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bowmanm,

Yes, I'm afraid it's true. We even bought him an obnoxious Hawaiian to go with it. We hang out with a bunch of great Ferrari guys and he wants to attend the Ferrari meetings. I am happy with beating them on the track. I'll be even happier in a year when I get a 02 996TT so I can beat the guys driving 360s and 550s. The guys want me to get a 355 instead but I'll pocket what I would spend on maintenance for a 355 and mod my TT!
K
Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

A good friend of mine owned a 308 and a 355, I was really disappointed with the performance compared to my C4 and C4S. I have not driven a 360 or a 430, it's my understanding that the new f-cars are much better than the models from the 90's.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Neighbor
Instructor

Wow, this is totally changing my impressions of these cars. My dad has had a Testarossa for 15 years now. He doesn't drive it at all (under 400miles), but it sure looks good. He did have to take it in for maintenance. Belt replacement and misc. maintenance was ridiculous, 5k because they had to lift the entire engine to access the belts. Okay, on second thought, I will continue to enjoy these cars from afar (or drive dad's).
Old 08-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

A couple of items worth noting.

1) ferrari quality improved a lot after Enzo died, not just the F1 cars but the street cars as well.

2) ferrari retains a very high percentage of it's initial cost, higher than Porsche. FWIW I also had a 328 and I considered potting it in resin and making a sculpture out of it. My 1991 Testarosa was no model of quality either. OTOH I am impressed with my 430. Still, in spite of the weakness of certain models, ferrari holds value.

3) Leon, you were in Montreal! I wish I had known. Where did you rent a 360? A friend of mine wants to do that for her husband as an Anniversary present. Were you at the supercars event perhaps? I think that's what it's called. For a bunch of money you can rent an exotic car and track it with an instructor for a day at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. Take your pick of a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc and enjoy.

Regards,
Old 08-30-2005, 06:06 PM
HUGHES996
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

You will find that the people that dont have problems with there ferraris never drive them.What is the fun in owning a car you cant drive for fear of having to spend $2,000?My 328 was absolutely gorgeous but it was a junk pile!The 996 is awesome to drive and look at also.I never drove a 348 but I heard thay are junk to.If you ever dreamed of owning a ferrari just call a dealer and ask them what a new cluch costs!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:34 AM
dallasboats
Pro

That vintage is not fair. The 996 is more comparable to a 355 or a 360. The 360 is way cooler!!!! Nothing beats the sound of a Ferrari nor the macho feeling in your chest.

I love Porsche and I really love Ferrari. If I could only own one car, it would be a 911 but what's the fun in owning just one car........................... The Ferrari is like a nice suit for special occasions, the 911 is my comfortable Khaki's.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:36 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Nothing beats the F1, it's like a video game in the later models. Porsche should copy this technology.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Personally I think you made the right choice, if you cannot understand what makes a Ferrari a Ferrari - the soul, the mystique, the heritage - then you'll probably be a lot happier with the Porsche. For me, those are the things that set Ferrari apart, and always will, and the things of which Porsches in general
will always be just a touch short.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Ferrari's hold their values well as a factor of supply and demand. Ferrari is the Jewel in the Fiat crown and does not have the same need to sell cars and make $$ as Porsche, which is still independent.

I love the style of the F360/430 and it is hard to imagine a car with more curb presence.

I would disagree that Porsche is s little short on soul, mystique and heritage. I feel that Porsche has all that in spades too, but with in a different way with a different feel. If I were offered a free F430 or GT3 (and I had to keep the cars, i.e. not sell and buy), I would honestly pick the GT3 (and not because I worry about maintenance costs). I just prefer the Porsche although I do understand what makes a Ferrari a Ferrari.

Now where Ferrari does have have it over Porsche without any doubt is exclusitivity. Pretty obvious though, when almost every car Porsche makes is priced way below the least expensive Ferrari offerings.

For cars like this though, it mostly comes down to what speaks to your personal taste most. I love 'em all...
Old 09-01-2005, 02:17 PM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by amjf088
Ferrari's hold their values well as a factor of supply and demand...
Hmmm...that seems different than what I've seen, deep depreciation hits, way more dramatic than on a TT or GT3.

That said, I'd love to have one in my garage. But, a Ferrari will never meet my right brain and left brain criteria for actually owning something.

-- M
Old 09-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Toreador
Menace to Society
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
3) Leon, you were in Montreal! I wish I had known. Where did you rent a 360? A friend of mine wants to do that for her husband as an Anniversary present. Were you at the supercars event perhaps? I think that's what it's called. For a bunch of money you can rent an exotic car and track it with an instructor for a day at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. Take your pick of a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston etc and enjoy.

Regards,
I was at Mont Tremblant taking an Advanced Racing Course with Jim Russel.
What an awsome track!!
Did not drive the Ferrari on the track because it was really messed up. Drove this car for 2 amazing days:

This is the parking lot at the track. Pretty nice cars, no?

And here is the POS I rented. Looks great, sounds great, drives awful:

Rented from Express exoctics. Ask for Francois : (819) 421-0123

Quick Reply: BYE,BYE FERRARI HELLO 996