Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How much shifting notchiness is 'normal'?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How much shifting notchiness is 'normal'?

Hello all,

I have an '02 6 speed that is bone stock and have noticed some increased 'notchiness' while shifting. Specifically, there seems to be some minimal reluctance to go into the next gear despite a fully depressed clutch. I can definitely feel the synchro catch before the gear and the 1-2 shift is the one where I feel it the most.

I understand that most manual gearboxes will feel stiffer when cold, but I've also noticed an occasional 'clunk' from the back of the car when shifting as well despite a fully depressed clutch.

I've not driven other cars having only had mine for about 18 months or so. I don't think that it's possible to do a really quick gearchange in my car (like I saw during my tag along during a PCA DE). I'm planning to bring it in to get it checked and would appreciate feedback from other drivers with regard to how their gearboxes 'feel'. Am I imagining things or is your box 'like buttah'? Do you ever hear a clunk?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
rx2476
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my gearbox feels "notchy" if i haven't driven the car for a few days...i usually take her on a 3 hour cruise with lots of back roads and shifting...lots of driving seems to do the trick for me.
i guess you could always change the gear oil if you drive it plenty and see what happens.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:56 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It does feel notchy, but if you feel like its too much, maybe the cables need lubricating, or adjusting....Just a thought
Old 08-26-2005, 01:11 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't like the sound of that clunk in the back, let the dealer check it out and don't mention the DE.

Quick Reply: How much shifting notchiness is 'normal'?