Sponsored by:

My Porsche Story -- Long

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 02:48 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My Porsche Story -- Long

I get a call from my wife a while back. “Honey,” she says, “would it be all right if I took the Porsche to Pleasanton to visit Lisa this morning? It’s such a beautiful day and I’ve been missing the T-Bird and I just think it would be nice to go for a drive with the top down.” “Uh, umm, ok,” I say, hesitating only because her experience driving a manual transmission consists of about 45 minutes in a parking lot with me two weeks earlier. “Are you sure you don’t want to wait ‘til I can come with you?” “No, I’ll be fine. There aren’t many stoplights and it’s mostly freeway driving.” What could I say? She had offered to sell her baby blue 2003 T-Bird to make room in the garage when I found my dream 2000 C4 cab six months earlier. “Ok, honey. Have a great time.” Holy crap, I’m thinking. Don’t worry. She’s capable and competent and was doing reasonably well in the parking lot. She’ll do fine…. I hope.

Somewhat surprisingly, I get back to work without too much worry. Then I get a call about an hour-and-half later. “How’s it going?” I ask. “Pretty well. I only stalled it a couple of times leaving the driveway, and once getting on Highway 4.” Ok, that doesn’t sound too bad. “Once I got on Vasco Road it was great. It was such a wonderful drive, with the wind in my hair. But then when I got on the freeway, all of a sudden, it got really loud. So I got off at the first exit. I’m in the Target parking lot now. I looked at the back of the car and it looks fine. Just like you showed me last week.” Uh, oh. I’m starting to get worried. I had installed the PSE the week before. I’m sure I torqued everything down to spec. Didn’t I? “Honey,” I said. “Are the exhaust tips there?” “Yeah,” she says, “it’s nice and shiny. Just like when you put it on.” “Um, put IT on? You mean, put THEM on, right? There are two tips. One on each side.” “No. There’s just the new one you put on last week.”

Now I’m worried. I should have paid a mechanic to do the install. “Are you sure there’s only one. There should be two.” What the heck was I thinking? “Maybe it fell off when I got on the freeway." Why did I buy into all that crap on Renntech about DIY being the way to truly get to know your new-to-you Porsche? "Can you drive out and look with me? Maybe we can find it. Is your calendar clear?” I'm an idiot. I'll never do another mod myself. “Uh, I’ve got a conference call in a while.” “Check your calendar, honey. Are you sure you’ve got something scheduled? Check your calendar. We can look for it together.” This is definitely not good. “I don’t need to check my calendar. I’ve got a conference call in a while. I can’t drive out there now.” “I think you want to check your calendar.” Check my calendar? Check my calendar? Ding. Ding. Ding. I must be the slowest guy around. I shouldn’t have to check my calendar to know it’s April 1st. What a fool I am. She didn’t even drive the Porsche….
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

That's a good one! She got obviously understands where your tender spot is!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:32 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

THAT'S GREAT MAN
Old 08-23-2005, 11:49 AM
donkeyman
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Oh she got you good!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:25 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

She lured me in beginning with the first phone call, knowing I feel bad about her T-Bird. She set the hook with "only stalled it a couple times." Then she reeled me in with "it got really loud" and the "single" exhaust tip. I deserved it, though. Too much Porsche obsessing.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Good laugh!! Thanks, I definitely needed that one on a stressfull day like this
Old 08-23-2005, 04:14 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good one. She knows where your heart is at...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:52 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Good one. You definitely need to read my story if you haven't already.

New Porsche for 2 days and someone smashes it!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:51 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

dmac,
I did read your story. It inspired me to share mine.

Quick Reply: My Porsche Story -- Long