996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First repair on my 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:04 PM
path
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what the Porsche tech told me a while back. Porsche is required to check all cars that come in for service to see if there are and outstanding TSB's on the car. The Feds require that once a TSB is issued all cars need to be repaired regardless of date or age. A report then has to be filed with the government that the repairs were made. If this is a TSB it should be covered by Porsche. Again, this is what my Porsche service tech told me.

I had leaking coolant at the front of the car and the repair was covered by Porsche. Mine is a CPO car as well. My advice, if possible, check with another dealer. I had a seatbelt warning light come on that one dealer wanted to charge me $250 to repair. I asked another dealer and they fixed under warranty. Go figure!!

Let us know what you do. Best of luck.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:13 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have that part number for the reinforced one? I listed my part number in the original post.

Originally Posted by lexpilot
DC,
I chickened out last August when mine completely failed and left my car in the garage until the parts got here.
You will have noticeable leakage over your left rear exhaust tip and a puddle in your garage. It took a week for my leak to get serious enough for me to stop driving.
It went from a drip to a stream in a week. You could carry around a water bottle and refill it if it is not bad. But order parts now.
My prior post should be a typical independent shop price. My new tank was definitely the reinforced version so make sure you are not getting the old design.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 AM
lexpilot
Racer

DC
996 10614 756 Coolant Reservoir cost $184.78
0000 433 0078 Porsche coolant 3 qts at $6.97 each
Independent shop labor $120
Aug 5, 2004 Bend OR
Old 08-24-2005, 01:05 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by path
Here's what the Porsche tech told me a while back. Porsche is required to check all cars that come in for service to see if there are and outstanding TSB's on the car. The Feds require that once a TSB is issued all cars need to be repaired regardless of date or age. A report then has to be filed with the government that the repairs were made. If this is a TSB it should be covered by Porsche. Again, this is what my Porsche service tech told me.

I had leaking coolant at the front of the car and the repair was covered by Porsche. Mine is a CPO car as well. My advice, if possible, check with another dealer. I had a seatbelt warning light come on that one dealer wanted to charge me $250 to repair. I asked another dealer and they fixed under warranty. Go figure!!

Let us know what you do. Best of luck.
Wrong. A tech bulletin is just information that may help repair a vehicle based on conditions that may occur in some vehicles. Now a campaign on the other hand is when the government requires Porsche to make a fix. You can identify campaigns by an A followed by a number (A311,A406,A502,A506 etc). Anything else is not required by Porsche to be fixed.

Oh and four hours to replace a coolant tank is nearly triple book time.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Looks like my part nuber is different.

Originally Posted by lexpilot
DC
996 10614 756 Coolant Reservoir cost $184.78
0000 433 0078 Porsche coolant 3 qts at $6.97 each
Independent shop labor $120
Aug 5, 2004 Bend OR
Old 08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Your coolant tank number is the same. I just put the spaces in the part number to make it more convenient to read.

Quick Reply: First repair on my 996