996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First repair on my 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see whether the previous owner had the coolant expansion tank replaced outside of warranty. If so then the PART should be warrantied and you should be able to get it replaced.

My car (00 cab) was still under warranty when the expansion tank cracked and leaked. I remember going through three tanks before they finally installed a "new design" tank that hasn't cracked yet. The two replacement "old design" tanks cracked within 6 months.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered my tank from Sunset for under $200. Run a search,the exact figures are in a previous post.
It's a fairly straight forward DIY, the only hard part is wiggling the tank out, I cut off the tab (it's only neccessary for turbo cars) on the new tank, and it went in very quickly. If you decide to do the work yourself shoot me a note I'll gladly help out.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:46 PM
oceanbluecab
Intermediate

I replaced my tank about 3 months ago. The tank was about $180 from Sunset Porsche, $50 or so for 1 gallon of coolant from a local Porsche dealer (need less than 1 gallon) and $60 for my local mechanic. It is a fairly straight forward job; some wiggling and R&R of fuel lines. There are colored DIYs on the web and you really can't go wrong.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
When i bought my 2001 C4 from a private party, i got a Porsche PPI.
As it only had 5000 miles on it they said they could extend the warranty for me.
There were LOTS of classes (bronze thru gold plus i think)
This was power train only for the basic, or most things except electric motors (?), thru the works bumper to bumper.
Perhaps you got the cheap version ??
Porsche CPO is NOT an aftermarket warranty and does NOT have levels. No such thing as the "cheap" version and I tell you I would prefer the limted CPO over ANY aftermarket warranty.....way TOO MANY horror stories of people not getting covered when they have an aftermarket and not to mention all the nickel and diming they do ($100 deductible per item not service call, seals not covered, etc.).
Old 08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexL.
So you're saying that Porsche does not honor the warranty on Certified Cars on certain items? That would be a HUGE deal to me if that is the case because I am considering a certified car but of course it is MUCH more expensive than others I have seen. I am willing to pay a bit more for the peace of mind knowing that if I need to replace my coolant tank for instance it would be done so at no cost to me......

Have others had these issues with certified cars. If so, this changes EVERYTHING.......
The CPO warranty is a LIMITED warranty! It is NOT an extension of the original warranty. You might want to read the warranty before choosing CPO. It only costs $1549, though.

Coolant tanks are not covered, nor are cooling system hoses. I replaced mine DIY on my 996, paid to have it done on my Boxster. Renntech has good DIY instructions. It is a bit of a job; part costs about $240 retail, plus $50 or so for coolant.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Perhaps.. lol!

When i bought my 2001 C4 from a private party, i got a Porsche PPI.
As it only had 5000 miles on it they said they could extend the warranty for me.
There were LOTS of classes (bronze thru gold plus i think)
This was power train only for the basic, or most things except electric motors (?), thru the works bumper to bumper.
Perhaps you got the cheap version ??
Old 08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

The total is $789.36 which includes the following:
996-106-147-56 Water Reservoir - $257.83
996-106-447-01 Water Tank Cap - $23.88
996-624-505-02 Throttle control GUI (I don't know what this is for) -1.30
4 hours labor @ $115.00
Hazard disposal $32.20

Also, but fell under the cheap version CPO Warranty, as follows:
996-106-011-54 as water pump
996-106-340-54 gasket water pump
000-043-300-88 Antifreeze 3.79l
2 hours labor

As I pull to my driveway I thought I heard a chime but I didn't see a light indicator on the dash. I decide to wipe the car down then check to see if my resevoir was actually a new one. Upon inspection, I noticed the reservoir fluid level is lower than it's ever been. Of course the dealership is closed now. Should I add water or not drive it for the rest of this week( I don't have time to go back to the dealer again)?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

It's an overflow reservoir, so the flud level will be somewhat different each time you drive the car....
Old 08-22-2005, 07:49 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Right, but it's way below "Min". I can barely see the fluid inside.

Originally Posted by Eli K
It's an overflow reservoir, so the flud level will be somewhat different each time you drive the car....
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Porsche CPO is NOT an aftermarket warranty and does NOT have levels. No such thing as the "cheap" version

Just letting you know what i was offered by Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley when i got the PPI done.
It was an extension of the Porsche factory warranty which hadnt expired, and there were choices on the level of coverage. Began at about $2500, and was ~$4000 for the full deal for an extra 3-years (i think)
Old 08-22-2005, 10:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Porsche CPO is NOT an aftermarket warranty and does NOT have levels. No such thing as the "cheap" version

Just letting you know what i was offered by Sonnen Porsche in Mill Valley when i got the PPI done.
It was an extension of the Porsche factory warranty which hadnt expired, and there were choices on the level of coverage. Began at about $2500, and was ~$4000 for the full deal for an extra 3-years (i think)
But is was NOT a Porsche extended warranty you were offered hence there is no "cheap" version or "levels". It was an aftermakret warranty that would pick up where the Porsche one left off. They make a larger profit on those after market warranties and DO NOT have to certify your car. They get a kickback on the sale of it plus they charge the warranty company for repairs not internal to Porsche.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your below minimum fluid level you should be getting a flashing red light at the end of your temp indicator guage.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:43 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-23-2005, 12:14 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

You're just going to rub it in my face, huh?

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL
Old 08-23-2005, 05:00 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DC,
I chickened out last August when mine completely failed and left my car in the garage until the parts got here.
You will have noticeable leakage over your left rear exhaust tip and a puddle in your garage. It took a week for my leak to get serious enough for me to stop driving.
It went from a drip to a stream in a week. You could carry around a water bottle and refill it if it is not bad. But order parts now.
My prior post should be a typical independent shop price. My new tank was definitely the reinforced version so make sure you are not getting the old design.

Quick Reply: First repair on my 996