Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

getting closer but can I hear more from kid seats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
I think after 1 yo, you can use front facing seats. Not sure on the weight.

After 4 and 40lbs, booster is allowed. Booster will allow more leg room for the front passenger when you put kids in the back. Until then, it'll be a tight fit for the front passenger w a car seat.
My pediatrician wife says the kid needs to be 1 year old to be forward-facing. As I understand, it's not about weight, it's about overall body development -- things like having enough neck strength to keep the head from flying about like a rag doll. We didn't think it was worth it to put the kid rear-facing in the front seat, so we've been waiting. Six more weeks to go, and my wife is already talking about going for a drive on our kid's first birthday!

After 1 year, you match the kid's weight to the proper seat -- either a carseat or a booster. I think these are required until the kid is 6 years old and 60 lbs, but that may vary by state? FWIW, I've heard some pediatricians recommend 8 and 80 to be safe.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:16 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
I have an Eddie Bauer, black leather kids seat in the back of my C4 Cab. The black goes well with the grey leather.
I also took out the bottom seat pad to make a bit more room (and not damage it)

It fits just fine, but as everyone says, there is little front passenger room.
Exactly what I am doing in my 997S - same seat and took the bottom seat pad out. The main reason I got that seat is because the base is smaller and fits much better in the seat well than many other seats (including the Porsche seat I was previously using).
Old 08-23-2005, 04:59 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I purchased a Britax Parkway booster for my 3 year-old and it works great. It goes well with the Savannah Beige Leather and has some blue cloth that matches the Metallic Blue. It definitely shortens the leg room for the front seat passenger though.

I called Porsche and only one of their Zoom models was left available and it was at the dealer in Rancho Mirage, CA. Porsche is getting out of the car seat business it would appear.

I'm a softie, but I had to put down my foot. No food or drink allowed in the Porsche!!! My wife's MDX looks like tornado swept through the library/playroom/ and cafeteria and dumped all the contents in her car.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Gnome
Racer

Ok, I stand corrected. My wife informed me that it's 1 year old AND at least 20 lbs before the kid can be forward-facing.

That's why she's my better half, and why she's the pediatrician, not me.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:13 AM
ubergeek
Instructor

i also have several britax and the latest one we bought (parkaway) is by far the best booster seat i have ever seen. Really well engineered product and fits well in the back seat of 996. my 3 yr daughter enjoy it. Actually, the porsche baded seats are older models from Britax as porsche is getting out of babyseat biz.

a couple of tips.
1. remove the leather seat bottom. It is velcro attached. very easy to remove. Removing back panel gave me some extra room but for the safety and stability reason, i put it back.
2. tell your kids to take off their shoes and then rest their feet on the back of the front seat.

Quick Reply: getting closer but can I hear more from kid seats?