Sponsored by:

After market warranty?? YES!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:09 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4bliss
Warranty's are almost ALWAYS worth the money. I agree, buy the warranty. In every car ive owned as an adult (not counting those teenage years with beaters :-)) the warranty paid for itself... the only one so far is my Porsches.
This makes no sense. First of all, most warrantys don't pay for themselves. If they did, the insurance companies would stop writing them. So actually, warranty's are almost NEVER worth the money. However, if you do have a catastrophic failure, they can easily amount to many times the cost of the policy. On average, the insurance company always wins or they change the playing field.

Having said all that, I have an extended warranty on my Ford Excursion and got an extension on my '04 996 because of CPO.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Zed.
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 146 Posts

Here's my example in the 1st year.
My cost: $400 tire/wheel warranty for 4 years.
Summer 2005 replacement. 2 blown rear tires, latter with wrecked rim.
My cost: $0
Insurance cost from dealer: $2000.00
3 years to go
Dont be afraid of spending $$ up front. All these cars break down eventually no matter the wear, miles, just luck of the draw most times.
So, you feeling lucky?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
It's funny he's getting bashed for having a warranty..
Nobody is really bashing him, they are just saying that the warranty structuring ($100 for each repair on the same bill) and the charges for the repairs are INSANELY OVERPRICED!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:46 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, a misinterpretation then, sorry folks.

The MAF was a rip off but who cares, he's not paying for it.. I have a 2 year unlimited Porshce warranty and if they decide to charge Porshce America $2000 to fix my MAF, so be it. If I didn't have a warranty, I'd be right in line at the dealership saying "hi, can you get me a MAF, thanks I'll put it in myself".

Originally Posted by LVDell
Nobody is really bashing him, they are just saying that the warranty structuring ($100 for each repair on the same bill) and the charges for the repairs are INSANELY OVERPRICED!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

$250 to replace a MAF is much cheaper in the long run than a $100 MAF replacement ded over and over. What you really need to do is take the cost you pay for the warranty and ADD the total of $100 per item as well to get a total cost of warranty. WAY TOO MUCH. Trust me, these companies are in business to make money and those that aren't DO NOT honor claims. I bought my 996 as a CPO knowing I was covered with $0 ded and dealer maintained and honored.

But as most would agree it is a gamble and that is piece of mind if you don't mind the risk/reward.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:01 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Originally Posted by mitch236
This makes no sense. First of all, most warrantys don't pay for themselves. If they did, the insurance companies would stop writing them. So actually, warranty's are almost NEVER worth the money.
Having said all that, I have an extended warranty on my Ford Excursion and got an extension on my '04 996 because of CPO.
Mitch, what i said makes perfect sense. What does a warranty run? 2K? 3K? Ok.. so one failure of any significant value and you can easily get to that level. Had a 3000GT, warranty was 1500, 5th gear replacement when it failed was 1600. I can only go by experience and in every case it has paid for itself. Besides, warranties are hidden in the cost of the car, over the life of the loan. I sure dont like having to drop a couple grand on a breakdown. Prepay it!
Old 08-17-2005, 06:20 PM
PorschePRH
Instructor

Warranties are especially good if you are not mechanically capable. That MAF probably just needed cleaning, but if you don't know and aren't able to do the work, repairs will really cost you....

I know on the Jag I had that the the dealer replaced a ton of stuff under my extended warranty that I am sure did not need replacing. But it wasn't on my bill. If it was, they would have had a tough time convincing me that work needed to be done. And chances are, I would have fixed it myself if they did.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:49 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the arguement for warranties is even stronger when buying a used car; there's just no way to be sure that it hasn't been abused and $3600 is worth the piece of mind. imho
Old 08-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Chronos
Advanced

I bought mine used and picked up a policy for less than this, but then again I bought the policy from a friend. So far it has been great.

When my Corvete was 200 miles past its warranty its motor died. A con rod disintegrated while idling in traffic. $6k later I had a new block (GM warranty too). Ouch. I should have bought an extened warranty before my primary policy expired but didn't as the LT-1 was supposedly bulletproof. Yeah.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 PM
c4bliss
Racer

[QUOTE=Chronos]When my Corvete was 200 miles past its warranty its motor died. A con rod disintegrated while idling in traffic. $6k later I had a new block (GM warranty too). Ouch.QUOTE]

Isnt this usually when it occurs? Right after the warranty? Like the damn cars know when it expires....
Old 08-19-2005, 02:46 PM
Chronos
Advanced

Originally Posted by c4bliss

Isnt this usually when it occurs? Right after the warranty? Like the damn cars know when it expires....
EXACTLY. That experience sure woke me up! Changed the oil religiously, had the car serviced on time, and I never even really got the chance to "push 'er" on the track or backroads. After that experience I won't own an expensive car without a warranty.

Quick Reply: After market warranty?? YES!!