996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

SL55 vs Porsche 996 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:05 AM
bavarian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look, I understand where Bob is coming from, but in all fairness we have to compare the SL500 with the 996. I have had many cars and have lusted after the SL ever since it came out. Two years ago I bought an '03 SL500 sight unseen, never even took it for a test drive. I loved the looks, the glass retractable roof etc. After a few weeks I was so bored, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I traded it for my present C4S cab, and it's the best swap I have made in years. Perhaps the SL55 would have kept my interest a bit longer, but I honestly don't think so. There is no sense of contact with the road, the tight steering , even the back seats (which my 2 little boys love to ride in), or the sound of the PSE when I accelerate. Plus 4 wheel drive, with less of that country club stigma. (Flame away!)
Old 08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What he said.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:31 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I thought picking out something to wear this morning was a problem.

Last edited by washington dc porsche; 08-15-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
And I thought, picking out something to wear this morning was a problem.
LOL!!!!!!

I gotta hand it to Bob for starting a thread that potentially can go on forever without maintenance. Do you all realize that there are now 18 responses over 2 pages including this one, and Bob has only made one post here?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Palting
Do you all realize that there are now 18 responses over 2 pages including this one, and Bob has only made one post here?
That's because his finger is stuck in the button that opens and closes the hardtop of his SL55

And BTW Bob, remember the first rule of this board, you've got to share pictures of the new car. We need to see it before there's a fire or something odd like that. Welcome back Bob!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
LOL!!!!!!

I gotta hand it to Bob for starting a thread that potentially can go on forever without maintenance. Do you all realize that there are now 18 responses over 2 pages including this one, and Bob has only made one post here?
Wasn't it Bob's porsche that was scattering debri over 3 states? Something about a Car-B-Que?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Wasn't it Bob's porsche that was scattering debri over 3 states? Something about a Car-B-Que?
Yes, exactly. Bob is to the 996 forum what Red UFO is to the Off Topic forum.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Yes, exactly. Bob is to the 996 forum what Red UFO is to the Off Topic forum.
I'm sure Bob would rate a Hyundai Sonata a better vehicle.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if Bob bought ithe SL55 from a Foird dealer?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by riad
I'm sure Bob would rate a Hyundai Sonata a better vehicle.
Probably, but he would never say that here. He is much more subtle. His posts could potentially be true, or they could be complete BS. The beauty is that you just can't tell. Whether true or fictional, his posts are masterful in stirring the pot. I can't help but think he takes great pride in subtly "fuch ing" with people . . .
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
bavarian
Instructor

Boy, do I feel stupid--now I remember the endless "I bought a 996 from a used Ford-dealer, and then it blew up" over and over again thread......let's put this baby to bed asap!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:57 PM
peachboy
Racer

I've own a few MB and can tell you that they are DANGEROUS cars....driving them you feel so insulated from the road that you tend to fall asleep while driving...that's a
Old 08-15-2005, 04:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take a BMW over a Benz any day. Although their quality (interior and exterior) have drastically improved over the years, they still trail the Bimmer and I don't ever plan on buying another one even if a find a great deal at a Ford dealer.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:15 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I don't think that Porsche, BMW and Mercedes target the same market. I place Porsche on one end of the spectrum (Sports cars and Sporty SUVs), Mercedes on the other end of the spectrum (Fast Luxury Cruisers and SUVs) and BMW in the middle (Luxury Sporty Cars and SUVs). There may be some overlap, but the only people who think these models are even intending to compete with each other do not, IMHO, understand the various products.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

Talking mb/996

it's not my fault, my posts generate these responses

Of course I think having a 996 and a sl55 is the best of both worlds.. I suppose for the time being i'm just really having fun with the car...

one must realize, living smack downtown in the middle of a big city... having a loud porsche stick isn't exactly the most enjoyable experience, when reaching 20mph is an accomplishment..

..to each their own, but i'm content driving the porsche for when i really feel like "driving" and the sl55 as a driver when I feel like just driving around town or to dinner/valet... of course the drive isn't anything like a porsche, but the car does pretty much handle anything you give it.. if anything.. it's too forgiving and too simple to drive.. but sometimes that's a nice thing in a stressful city environment full of morons that can't drive and 5-10mph speeds... if anything, it's nice to have a car that drives like a dream, has the interior of a dream, and refinement unmatched anywhere...

i've never been a huge porsche fan, and the 996 was my first and most likely my last porsche as i said previously, due to my horrible experiences with mine in the past... (which we need not bring up again) and the service, company, etc...

I don't think it's wrong for me to enjoy both he sl55 and the porsche is it? of course i prefer to the sl55, but to each their own.. one reason I've realized why I drive the sl55 so much more is the sound system.. i think we can all agree.. the stock sound on a porsche, even the hi-fi which i have, is pretty damn bad.. but of course, the car wasn't made for music.. personally i love music, and the bose system on the mercedes is top knotch.. sitting in traffic, it's much nicer to listen to than the porsche... maybe if i lived in the country or subs, my preference would change.. but for the time being, the sl55 is my new love :>

done a few things to it already.. got the 20" brabus, lowered, cleared it out white everywhere.. removed the emblems.. so when I really want to exhibit some speed someone on the freeway, it's a pleasure blowing em away thinking it's a slow v6 240hp mercedes slk or something fun car.. for those that haven't test driven one... atleast try it.. the thing has some serious *****, even though it's a mercedes..
Attached Images     

Last edited by bobporsche996; 08-15-2005 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: SL55 vs Porsche 996 Cab