Sponsored by:

HELP WITH DOOR SILL REMOVAL AND INSTALL

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 11:34 AM
trozenhorse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH DOOR SILL REMOVAL AND INSTALL

Anyone have any good helpful tips on taking off the stock black door sills on an 02 996? They seem to be attached with some sort of adhesive or foam adhesive....any suggestions or tips to remove them easily or to take the extra residue off would be great.....thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 04:00 AM
snaproll
Instructor

I debated switching from the stock sill to carbon after taking delivery of the car, but the dealer convinced me they don't remove easily. The service writer said they would do the R&R, but they don't like to because it's a difficult job. I left them stock..............
Old 08-15-2005, 10:04 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea i did mine, not a hard job, but the trick is to heat up the sill with a hairdryer or heat gun, if you have to use a little fishing line to cut the double sided tape, and Just pull...Make sure you get ALL of the old tape off, and it has a really good clean surface befor applying the new ones. I have pics if you need them
Good luck
Paul
Attached Images  

Last edited by kilrgt; 08-15-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Scholz996
Advanced

Heat gun/hair dryer and fishing line just as kilrgt says - works great. When I installed the new ones on a previous porche I removed the double sided tape and used a few dabs of silicone becasue I had the full length inserts that bent up the door sill (kind of an "L" shape) and it was a "B!@TCH" to position it properly without the tape gripping too early.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:45 AM
Scholz996
Advanced

OH - yeah, forgot - the interior smelled like silicon for about a week but it worked great.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Boston Duce
Advanced

Like Scholz says, use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive.

You will be left with some adhesive residue, I used mineral spirts to clean it off.

This was the worst part.

Took about 45min per side to get the sills cleaned off ( in comparison, took 5 min to heat and pull off the old sill covers). My hands were sore for about a week after.

Regards,
BD
Old 08-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Man it was a pain in the *** when I did mine...

Dental Floss
Hair Dryer
Goo Gone

Takes a long time...
Old 08-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I replaced my stock black sills with CF sills. I tried heating, using fishing line, and adhesive remover. In the end I used elbow grease and a lot of cursing. Just get your fingers under the sill towards the front and pull like a mad man. 3M makes an adhesive remover for the double sided tape that will be left on the sill. Just soak for a few minutes and it should come right off. Just use care when applying the new sills and make sure they are lined up correctly. Once in place the CF sills would rather shatter than come off in one piece. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

wow....lots of info now.....here in montreal i still have to find the double face auto tape....should i use silicone to put it back instead of double face tape? also is goof off ok to use to take the old residue off? thanks for the info...Ted

Quick Reply: HELP WITH DOOR SILL REMOVAL AND INSTALL