Sponsored by:

front bumper grill mesh inserts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:49 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
maybe a "looser" mesh pattern would be the best bet. i still want to do your engine compartment hack.

here's a question though. at higher speeds will the radiator fans actually play a part in cooling? is the volume of air passing thru the ducts actually more than the fan can produce? say at 30-60mph that's a lot more air being pushed thru than a fan can generate. isn't it?
All the test's that I have done prove that running the fans on high at any speed under 70 will cool the engine more than if the fans were done running. It is not until you get above 70 that the air flow is enough to cool more than the fans. So for tracking, it is a perfect mod. Even at high speeds over 100, running the fans does not in anyway restrict the air passing by the radiators. Engine lid fan further helps in maintaining lower engine temps.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:52 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my grille inserts from an outfit in Chicago. Don't know how yours attaches and I'm confirming that you do have to take the front bumper cover off. My temp moved just a fraction above 180. IOW I can see the edge of the mark now where the needle was dead on before. That shouldn't be a problem.

And no bling either. Mine is on for protection as well. Stainless and solid as a rock!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:57 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by DonW-Cape Cod
I bought my grille inserts from an outfit in Chicago. Don't know how yours attaches and I'm confirming that you do have to take the front bumper cover off. My temp moved just a fraction above 180. IOW I can see the edge of the mark now where the needle was dead on before. That shouldn't be a problem.

And no bling either. Mine is on for protection as well. Stainless and solid as a rock!
We're talking about the 3.4 engine and not the 3.6.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:59 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If you don't mind driving your car with engine temps above 215F, then I guess you don't have a problem and you are more interested in bling than you are performance. Get the engine temp down below 200 and you'll see some nice performance improvements. The engine is designed to run bewteen 190 - 196 degrees. They don't because of the design, but why would you further impede the cooling efficiency? I just got back from a 1 hour drive around town in 97F hot sun and my temp never got above 196F. I then turned off my cooling mods and jumped right up to 219F.

You do have a cooling problem but just do not know it.
Whoa.. easy man, I was just saying my temp is normal with the grill inserts, that's all. The inserts were installed by the previous owner and if I had the time OR the garage to do so (i live in Manhattan), I would take them out simply just because I don't like the way it looks. I did not know it affected the temperature until reading this thread. But it's good to know.

However, I've been driving around in 90+ degree weather and my temp is always on the 8. I may not be as well-informed as you are on this topic, but I believe that is somewhat normal, no? thanks for the info though, but pls don't assume I'm all about bling than performance, ok?
Old 08-09-2005, 05:14 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by evo_333
Whoa.. easy man, I was just saying my temp is normal with the grill inserts, that's all. The inserts were installed by the previous owner and if I had the time OR the garage to do so (i live in Manhattan), I would take them out simply just because I don't like the way it looks. I did not know it affected the temperature until reading this thread. But it's good to know.

However, I've been driving around in 90+ degree weather and my temp is always on the 8. I may not be as well-informed as you are on this topic, but I believe that is somewhat normal, no? thanks for the info though, but pls don't assume I'm all about bling than performance, ok?
Sorry for the "bling" thing, but I'm in and provocative mood today and jst wanted to heat things up. As far as the temp when you're running around town....I would check the coolant temp with a scanner to see what you truely are running in 90 degree temps driving around town. Without the air (driving 30 minutes or longer) you should see a temp of 205 or so. With the air on, it will be closer to 215F.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are the Cup grills on my car. I am not happy with the fitment at all. I removed the plastic piece behing the bumper...the one that also holds the temp sensor. I could not see any other way to get these mounted. They do not clip in securely as you can see. WTF did I do wrong? Or is this just as "good as it gets"? If so, they are coming off and i will do some custom ones myself..SHeez.
Attached Images   
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for the "bling" thing, but I'm in and provocative mood today and jst wanted to heat things up. As far as the temp when you're running around town....I would check the coolant temp with a scanner to see what you truely are running in 90 degree temps driving around town. Without the air (driving 30 minutes or longer) you should see a temp of 205 or so. With the air on, it will be closer to 215F.
no worries I'll be sure to check the coolant temp with a scanner next time. And after reading this, I'm going to be taking out the grill inserts. If anyone wants Cargraphic grills, PM me.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
One other thing, I am not sure you will get really anybody to respond since this isn't a very popular mod b/c of it's air restriction properties in front of the rads. Not a good thing to restrict airflow.
I hear what you are saying, but would such a mod really restrict that much?

I was sort of interested in getting these but now I'm not so sure.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JimPDX
I hear what you are saying, but would such a mod really restrict that much?

I was sort of interested in getting these but now I'm not so sure.
Jim - when you get your clear bra, you can just have them cover the openings in your bumper, too. Then you won't need the screens!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Jim - when you get your clear bra, you can just have them cover the openings in your bumper, too. Then you won't need the screens!
Clear bra...only on Demi and Jenna!

Old 08-10-2005, 02:20 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Tim you are in rare form tonight!!!!!!!!!!! Man we really gotta have drinks soon, get your tail out to Vegas soon. Oh yeah, and convince Jim to come. Maybe he will drive and I will have the clear bra installed on his car overnight while he is sleeping!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Tim you are in rare form tonight!!!!!!!!!!! Man we really gotta have drinks soon, get your tail out to Vegas soon. Oh yeah, and convince Jim to come. Maybe he will drive and I will have the clear bra installed on his car overnight while he is sleeping!
I'll be sure to have the Glock mod installed in my trunk first!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:18 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Blanks of course?
Old 08-12-2005, 05:34 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

I realize there is a lot of crap on some tracks, and there is no doubt that the mesh will protect the radiators from getting hit. However, you have traded performance (powerwise) for protection. If you are determined to keep the mesh on, you should find other ways to reduce engine temps, such as running radiator fans at high speed and running your engine lid fan. You'll find that your coolant temp will drop by more than 5%, even in the hardest of driving.

OUCH! this is why i should use mesh. just a few days after having the third radiator installed and it gets dinged by a rock! i wasn't even on the track, UGGHHH!

Quick Reply: front bumper grill mesh inserts