996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Corvette Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 08:59 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

The new ZO6 should be on the street next month and the engine is an LS7 7.0 liter NA V8 that puts out 505hp and 470 ft.lbs or torque. It also has dry sump oil as well as some carbon fiber parts and I think the weight is just under 3200 lbs. 0-60 should be around 3.7 seconds and the suspension will be better than any other stock vette. It will be a beast no doubt. The interior will be better than other vettes and if I wanted a track car, I would consider this, but I don't think I could stand the vette interior as an everyday driver. Besides, I really want a cabriolet. Base price $68,000. If you track your car, look out for experienced drivers in this beast.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:18 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just saw an article on the ZO6 that beat the GT2 at the "ring". The only car faster was the Carrera GT. Will
Old 08-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where is that article... I've read others that say the Z06 can't beat the GT3... hmm is chevy getting creative with their marketing?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Remember, a small block chevy engine is a excellent racing platform, it can easily and cheaply be made to crank out 5-600hp.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:11 PM
wyo996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Motor Trend Sept. page 18. It is a shame they eleminated the targa top in the ZO6 just to save a few pounds. I am just not crazy about the car in general but would love to have that kind of performance for the advertised price. It may be a few years before you can really have one at that price. Will
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

If only they could fit the LS7 into the 997. Can you imaging the performance of a supercharged LS7. I'm sure that you will see some insane performance numbers from Lingenfelter once they start to modify the LS7, but traction will be a huge issue.

Hasn't Porsche designed a V8 for their LMP2 Formula 1 car?

Anyway, I think the 997tt is suposed to have around 515HP, but I'm sure the price will be a bit north of $68,000!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 AM
fourtaylor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wyo996
Just saw an article on the ZO6 that beat the GT2 at the "ring". The only car faster was the Carrera GT. Will
I read the same article, it was a little misleading with respect to the Z06 vs GT2. I think the GT2 was faster in the loop by < 1 second (7 minute 42 second total IIRC) but when they listed the cars/times they listed the Z06 before the GT2 but with identical times.

The also made note that it was a hot/muggy day when running the Z06.

No doubt the Z06 is fast. It is gonna be tough to beat at twice the cost.
CT
Old 08-10-2005, 08:06 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by wyo996
Motor Trend Sept. page 18. It is a shame they eleminated the targa top in the ZO6 just to save a few pounds. I am just not crazy about the car in general but would love to have that kind of performance for the advertised price. It may be a few years before you can really have one at that price. Will
If you acted fast you could have bought one for sticker. Kerbeck in NJ and a couple of other big dealers are selling at sticker, but as you can imagine their allotments for this year are history. But there's always next year.

Of course there's going to be lots of dealers with Z06s in their showrooms for $10 - $20K over sticker, but these dealers probably want the car for drawing people imto their showrooms. On the other hand if someone is anxious enough, I'm sure they will be happy to sell at the marked up price.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:17 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by fourtaylor
I read the same article, it was a little misleading with respect to the Z06 vs GT2. I think the GT2 was faster in the loop by < 1 second (7 minute 42 second total IIRC) but when they listed the cars/times they listed the Z06 before the GT2 but with identical times.

The also made note that it was a hot/muggy day when running the Z06.

No doubt the Z06 is fast. It is gonna be tough to beat at twice the cost.
CT
Of all the exotics, only the Porsche GT was faster with a time of 7 minutes 32 secs. They list a time of 8 min 07 sec for a 911. The lap record is held by Stefan Bellof in a Porsche 956. In 1983 he ran a time of 6 min 11 sec.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I don't care how fast it is. It still looks like crap. It is amazing how bad we Americans are when it comes to designing automobiles and even after copying Ferrari here and there, the Vette is still butt ugly. Looks okay from the windshield forward, but the lights (ala 360), hood scoop (ala 550 & 575), wheels (ala 430), front end (ala Ferrari) are all cheap knocks off of Ferrari. It could run the Ring in 7 flat and I still would not drive it, unless I was racing at the Ring.

You get exactly what you pay for. There is a reason why Vettes costs what they costs and Porsche gets what is gets for its cars. Performance is only a part of the exotic sports car experience. Ferraris are weak on paper, but drive a 355 and drive a Vette back to back. I don't care which one is faster, the Ferrari is a work or art and the sound alone is worth the price of admission.

But for you guys so focused on numbers, didn't a GT2 just run a 7:16 or something insane. Seriously, you guys arguing about numbers ever drive the Ring or even know how to drive either a 911 or a Vette at 10/10ths. If not, then the only thing that is important is what makes you happy when you drive.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:13 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know Doug I have never thought my 996 Cab was the greatest looking car in the world. It kinda looks like a wasp. The Corvette rear end looks like a baboon. I think the Miata is better looking than both of them. Corvette's have a lot going for them. There are strong, meaning hard to break.
Cheap and easy to fix and hop up. They have just grown to long and big for my taste. I don't get a sports car so I have room for golf clubs. The first real sports car was an MG. That's the right size just make it go like hell!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Miata??? Better looking than a Porsche. Don't like the way your Porsche looks. Well trade that Porsche in and get a new car. Why oh why would you buy a car that you thought was ugly. Just to have a Porsche. What's that called. Running different tires on front then back.

MG first real sports car??? Forget 550s, vintage F-Cars, Aston Martins, E-Types, Muira and on and on. You should trade your 996 and buy a Vette and a Miatta if you really like them better. It would be silly to do otherwise.

BTW, I don't golf, but I can fit 2 adults and my 8 and 9 year old daughters in my TT cab (plus a picknick basket, socer *****, frisbee and stuff), hit 0 - 60 in less than 4 seconds, go 190+, and have put 23,560 miles on it in a year with only a service, new tires and an oil change (not counting $ 16k in mods that were completely unecessary). Let see you do that in a Miata, Vette, or heaven forbids an MG. Haha, I cannot believe the MG stuff. That is great. Funny stuff.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:01 AM
thanatos69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned both an '01 Corvette and now have a '99 911 Carrera. The only problem I had with the design of the '01 was the rear end was too big. I think the 911 has better lines overall still neither are a Ferrari or Lambo when it comes to sleekness of design. I enjoyed both cars but I feel more at 'home' in the 911. It suits me better in the long run. The Corvette was fast, great gas mileage (20 city & 29 hway) and very reliable for me. I was not that impressed with the build quality though. even though it was only 3 years old it started to squeak, rattle and grunt like an old man. The interior finish was subpar at best. However with that said, for being able to pick up a nice fairly low mileage one for under $30k now its a great deal to be honest. For the money its the most bang for the buck in overall performance and handling I think, at least in a true sportscar platform. (not including the rally cars such as WRXs and Lancer Evo's)

-Richard
Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug
I didn't buy the 911 for it's looks. I didn't buy it to impress people. I bought it for me. For the performance. When I'm driving I can't see the car and could care less what other people think. They don't really look at you anyway and could care less. Most don't even know what you are driving much less what year it is. I have owned 5 Corvettes and they are great cars. I almost bought a Miata it is a great car and fun to drive just not enough power to suit me. A sports car is a personal car so it must be all about me nobody else.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
Doug
I didn't buy the 911 for it's looks. I didn't buy it to impress people. I bought it for me. For the performance. When I'm driving I can't see the car and could care less what other people think. They don't really look at you anyway and could care less. Most don't even know what you are driving much less what year it is. I have owned 5 Corvettes and they are great cars. I almost bought a Miata it is a great car and fun to drive just not enough power to suit me. A sports car is a personal car so it must be all about me nobody else.
You have the right attitude. If you try to impress others, you'll never be happy because there will always be someone who won't like your car.Moreover, I agree that the vast majority of people couldn't care less what car other people are driving.

Quick Reply: Corvette Comparison