996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

White Smoke on Cold Starts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 100 Posts

Keep in mind Mobil 1 tends to burn with more of a whitish tint than conventional oils.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

It's pretty easy to dsitinguish steam from smoke. If it hangs in the air, it ain't steam.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:16 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Burning oil (as in your case) is not normal for the flat 6 engine. The car is not designed to leak or burn any oil. This is starting to sound like the arguement some people make, claiming an RMS leak is normal and should be expected. If oil is getting into your exhaust system, you have either a valve or cylinder (ring) problem. Habits that will increase the likelyhood of this is too gentle of a breakin (like what Porsche recommends) and the use of 0W40 oil in hot climates.

There are ways to help reduce any oil leaking into the cylinders caused by the rings not sealing,; the best being driving the car hard at high RPM's a little more often.

Burning a little oil now and then will not harm your engine, but it is not normal. Of all the Porsche's I have had and those that I have run with, only one had a burning oil problem.
I've heard of this in more 911's than I could ever begin to count, new, old, driven hard, hardly driven at all. The seals are never 100% and some oil can always leak into the cylinder since the rings are not a full circle, which means there's a small gap in them that can always leaks a little. The rings are supposed to be put on with the gaps offset, but this doesn't always happen. Depending on how close together the gaps are, more or less oil can make its way through.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Big6Dad
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 04 C2. I have done two DE events. My car did have noticible white smoke restarting the car twice during the second event but not on the last run. Have not seen it since. I recall a thread about it but have note been able to locate it. I believe in the end the consences was not to worry about it and I haven't.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:57 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tech from my dealership was at the track when mine did it. I was worried. He said it was normal and not to worry unless it did it every time. Hey...they were paying for any warranty work, so I believed him!!

Quick Reply: White Smoke on Cold Starts?