Sponsored by:

Convertible Plastic Window Seperation from Top

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Christopher Wingert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Plastic Window Seperation from Top

My 2001 996 plastic rear window has seperated from the top.

Anybody recommend a good place in San Diego to get this fixed? Seems like the only solution is to sew in a new window and I have heard this doesn't look that great.

Secondly, anyone bought and replaced the the complete top themselves? Where did you get the top from?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 07:38 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It isn't sewn it, it is "burned" in. Have you talked to your dealer? It may be an easy fix.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Christopher Wingert
Intermediate

Yes, I have talked to the dealer. They don't touch this stuff.

They forwarded me to people who sew replacement windows in.

The only way to get the original seal is to buy a complete top from Porsche for around $3k parts.

I can get a replacement sewed rear window (same top material) top for around $1500 installed.

I spoke to the guy who my dealer forwarded me and he said he would sew in a replacement window for around $400, but he is a bit worred that the top won't last that long.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I can't believe your dealer won't "touch this stuff". As you can imagine out here in Vegas, plastic rear windows get replaced often. Guess where? The dealer!

But $1500 for a new top parts AND labor is a good deal. But I am confused why the independent says he's worried the top won't last that long with JUST a window only replacement. It's amazing the crap that people will try to feed you.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:10 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GAHH makes replacement tops using same material but the design of the top is slightly different so it won't look same as OEM.

Porsche OEM tops are the best. It's too bad the glass can't be fitted into 01 yet. GAHH has a glass one for early Boxsters so they must be working on one for early 996.

Get a few top notch upholstery shops to look at it. Your local dealer can recommend a couple good upholstery shops. If this dealer can't, ask some MB and BMW dealers. After visiting 3-4 upholstery shops, you'll have a good idea on your options w your existing top. Most upholstery shops are very shady and will lie to you about what can be done. Be careful and asks for 2nd opinion. Don't just trust them blindly and ask them to explain how they plan on fixing it. They should have used tops to show you if they say it can be fixed. If they take a long time to get a quote, they are usually trying to figure out how much you're willing to pay judging what you drive, what a new top will cost you etc. Also stay away from shops that pimp up cars w white interior type of work. Look for a shop that does interior restoration rather than "pimp my ride" w/ 22" and pink fuzzy interior.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

djantive,

Checked out the GAHH web site... Very interesting! You are indeed correct, they have early Boxster (I checked model year '98) tops with a glass rear window. If anyone ever hears of a similar product for a 2000 996, please post!

I drive my car hard but it's not a daily driver. It's garaged at home and work. I used the official Porsche window cleaner (works great by the way!). But, I know that sooner or later, it'll fog over and I'll need a new one.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting, my 2000 C2 cab rear plastic window is "zipped" in although I can't see where the zip begins if I had to swap it out.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The zipper is faux.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:51 AM
Christopher Wingert
Intermediate

I had my rear window replaced, it looks great. The new one is sewn in. If I knew it was this cheap I would have done it a long time ago, I hated how the window started to fog after two years.

The place was recommended by Pioneer Porsche in San Diego.

Euro-Trim Upholstery
off of Miramar Road
858-271-4208
Joey V.

Quick Reply: Convertible Plastic Window Seperation from Top