Sponsored by:

Tires for Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 AM
gsessler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for Driving School

Signed up for one day driving school at Pacific Raceways next week. Went in to the dealer for pre-school inspection on my 02 C4 cab and was told I can't attend unless I purchase new rear tires. One of my Pirelli P Zero Rossos is at 2.5mm and the other is at 4.5mm. Dealer will gladly sell me a pair but I have two issues - not many seem to like the P Zeros but my fronts are nowhere near needing to be replaced. Second and potentially more problematic - I've read that these tires are not to be run at high speed for about 500 miles. Dealer can't get them and install until a day or two before the school. Should I take a rain check on the school?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That's odd since you get better grip with shaved tires! **More tread depth/patterns on dry surface = less grip (hint....check out the tread pattern and depth on tires like the MPSC)**

Are they past the wear bars?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:57 AM
gsessler
Intermediate

I thought the same, bu they said it was a "safety issue". Not quite at wear bars yet at 2.5mm.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

They need to be more clear on what they mean. It's not unsafe to run a tire that has yet to hit the wear markers. I would be concerned about the asymmetric wear on your rear tires. Why does one tire have 4.5 mm of tread while the other has 2.5 mm.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:35 PM
gsessler
Intermediate

A while back I had to replace one of the rear tires (and repair a banged up wheel) when a street curb jumped out and hit them (expensive lesson). When they installed the new tire they said it was ok to have uneven wear between the two tires because the new tire would be within 2mm of the old, undamaged one (8.5mm and 6.5mm).
Old 08-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I'd have to agree that it should be OK to drive a track so long as you are not at or beyond the wear bars. 2 mm diff in tread depth I don't have an opinion. Might be a moot point, though, 'cuz the service guy won't clear your car for the tech inspection. You can always go to another service tech to see if there is a difference in opinion.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:48 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a "scam" to sel you overpriced tires... go elsewhere...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

have to agree with the "scam" logic. Sounds like they have you by the short and curly's.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsessler
A while back I had to replace one of the rear tires (and repair a banged up wheel) when a street curb jumped out and hit them (expensive lesson). When they installed the new tire they said it was ok to have uneven wear between the two tires because the new tire would be within 2mm of the old, undamaged one (8.5mm and 6.5mm).
Gsessler - Man, don't you just HATE IT when those curbs won't stay put?

BTW, this morning at 6:00 A.M., when I first saw your avatar, I was laughing so hard and so loud that I thought I was going to wake up my wife who was still asleep on the other side of the house! I am a Lutheran, but my wife is Catholic, so I totally understand about the rosary beads. That is just the funniest pic I have seen in years!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:12 PM
agio
Racer

Look, if the tires will not pass inspection for Driver's Ed, then they need to be replaced. But check you local rules for DE...like who is in charge of tech inspections in your region--ask them. But clearly if you value your safety and the car, why not replace the tire(s) that need to be replaced? Seems pretty logical to me. It's like the old saying, "y'got a $50 head? Buy a $50 helmet! Don't over think tires mate--it's where the rubber meets the road.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

agio.....have to disagree with you (as most will). His tires are NOT unsafe for the DE when they haven't hit the wear bars yet. The tech inspector is using the logic you are trying to sell just to get him into a new set of tires and turn a profit. Besides, his current tires will OUTPERFORM the new one especially since they haven't been broken in yet and will be very greasy. Now which tires are more safe?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:29 PM
agio
Racer

Ah, your point is well taken mate. I was simply stating my opinion regarding "safety." I didn't go into his level of driving experience on the track, which matters a whole lot. If he is very new to this, then perhaps your point about his tires are moot. My only thought related to safety, first and last. I always encourage (and sometimes insist that) my students show up at the track with a base level of safety and if they or their cars are below minimum standards, then they don't run.
But if, as you say, his tires are "good enough," then so be it. If he's getting ripped off because someone wants to make a sale, then I certainly agree with you. But frankly, I don't buy it. Tires, almost above all else, need to be in good enough shape so that the tech inspector can have a "clear conscience" regarding safety. The "profit" on a new tire is relatively small provided the prices are competitive, so I find it difficult to imagine that "profit" on a new tire that is competitively priced is the motive.
Sorry for the long winded reply.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
gsessler
Intermediate

Thanks for all the input- taking a pass on this DE as the image of greasy new tires doesn't sit well with me. I'll sign up for the next one and get new rubber well in advance.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Get the new tires if you feel you must and go get them de-greased in advance! Go drive the crap out of them (you need about 500 miles to break them in).

Here is an article about it
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=26
Old 08-06-2005, 12:56 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd look for a different driving school, but go on your old tires. If you aren't a track junkie, there is no reason to wear your new tires, as opposed to wearing out the last bit of tires that are just about gone. You will probably come home with the 2.5 mm tire down to the last of the tread and have no remorse over throwing them away. AS

Quick Reply: Tires for Driving School