Sponsored by:

Tires for Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:37 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Why did the dealer give you a "no go" on the tires?
Old 08-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Do not skip the DE over this.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:21 AM
gsessler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by earlyapex
Why did the dealer give you a "no go" on the tires?
He said there was a safety rule that tires had to have more than 2.5mm. One of mine is just at 2.5mm.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 PM
buzzracer
Rennlist Member

Let me chime in on this > As a certified NASA instructor (and racer in BMWCCA, SCCA & NASA), the tread depth is immaterial. In fact, less is better for reasons stated above. What is MOST important is the age of the tire. As it ages, the rubber hardens and loses its compliance. It just happens a lot slower on the street, but on track it's known as heat cycles. That will degrade any tire's performance many times over tread depth. Moreover, one should look at sidewall condition for telltale signs of hairline cracks as the carcass ages. That's a big deal if the car does more sitting than driving.
Only caveat to tread depth is a wet track. Even there, soft and compliant rubber is always preferable. In any case, inspect the overall condition of the rubber before you venture out there.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:31 PM
nv1271
Intermediate

I don't know what was the reason for him telling that your tires are not good but I have treaded several tires (below the tread markers) at the track and that's what I do with all the R compound tires. I think that your tires will be fine. Just check them after every session. Just a suggestion though if you plan to track the car consider a set of semi-slicks. Michelins Sport cup are good and I would stay away from the Pirelli Corsa due to my previous bad experiences.

Quick Reply: Tires for Driving School