Sponsored by:

smartTOP 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 11:16 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Bahntech device and it works great. Easy install, I can open and lower my top consistent with the factory settings (up to 30 MPH) and it takes just a quick stab at the button. When I put the top up, all the windows go up as well after the top is secured. I have not had to worry about the parking brake to get it to work.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by GoodSpeed Sweden
Anybody have any experience with this product?
Installation, quality etc.
http://www.wilhelmy-it.com/
I second the other satisfied users. High quality, very quick/easy installation. Good response from cust. service if you need them.

One touch raises or lowers top while moving up to 30 mph or so.

Just as importantly to me, one touch raises or lowers top while sitting still. No more sitting there with your finger on the button. Parking brake is out of the picture with this unit.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:43 AM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Agree. If I add a product like this it would be the SmartTop. Group buy might just be in order.
LV:
I'm in for a group buy.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:31 AM
JoeTanto
Instructor

To throw in my .02 I have the Wilhelmy-it unit. Installed in 20 minutes (I'm no mechanical rockstar) and works fantastic. I love not having to pull over and pull up the emergency brake to move the top!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:51 AM
GoodSpeed Sweden
Instructor

OK, thanks for you feedback all.
I will go for the SmartTop. I am allready betting on eBay
Old 07-31-2005, 11:44 AM
UNC Nick
Instructor

Dell- let me know if you get the groupbuy going. I'm interested.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I will start the process now and keep everybody posted.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:09 PM
sinus
Banned

Hello,

smarttop is a pure plug-and-play solution that doesn't have to be installed by a mechanic and doesn't require any wires to be cut or the dashboard to be taken apart like other solutions. For the Boxster it just replaces a module in the relay box and for the 996 cab you just pull a plug out and stick the smarttop between that plug and the Porsche control module.

All other solutions, especially those going in between the cab switch, don't have full control over all necessary signals and therefore can't make the roof work without handbrake pulled. For speed control you would need to tap into other wires. And there would always have to be some wire cutting or contact isulating/bending involved to disable the handbrake. And that disables the handbrake safety feature permanently while the smarttop module directly "talks" to the onboard computer, giving the right signals at the right time while maintaining maximum safety at all times.

Some additional features are, that with smarttop the rear windows stay enabled. Usually the little rear windows are locked when the roof is open. With smarttop installed, they can be operated just the normal way with the window keys.

On 911’s made 2003 and later the windows won’t close anymore when holding the key on the key remote (if you are lucky to have a remote for your roof control). With smarttop the windows close automatically just like they used to do on the older models.

Hope these information are helpful.

Regards, Sven
Old 07-31-2005, 07:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Hi Sven, I was going to contact you in the morning about the group buy. I just got a PM from your General Manager Stephan and he said I should get in touch with you. I'll PM you in the morning so we can get the figures worked out.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:56 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sign me up for the group deal..

Originally Posted by LVDell
Hi Sven, I was going to contact you in the morning about the group buy. I just got a PM from your General Manager Stephan and he said I should get in touch with you. I'll PM you in the morning so we can get the figures worked out.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Just put up the thread for the goup buy so everybody interested sign up! As soon as I get 10 I will get the order completed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/218854-smart-top-group-buy-done-review-tips-inside-by-don-w.html#post2332960

Quick Reply: smartTOP 996