Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody using a Brey Krause harness mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 12:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anybody using a Brey Krause harness mount?

Are you happy with it? Best place to get one?

I shopped on the BK website and it says I need R1029 Kit and would like to hear any comments (pos and neg) about the BK product.

Thanks all!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

I got one with the M3, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Did you order it through BMW?
Old 07-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I was happy with it for what I originally intended t for: mount the 6 point harness while keeping the stock seats. I take it off after the event so I can again have acces to the back seats, then put it back on for the next event. Takes all of 20 minutes.

After a time, with more knowledge about safety issues regarding harness mount vs roll bar coupled with stock seats vs seats with an anti-sub hole, I no longer use it as a harness mount. It's now a very expensive camera and lap timer mount .

I have the 1029. If you intend to pursue it, you will have to get the tunnel side and door side harness brackets as well, 9001/9004 and 9003. If you get GT3 seats, those will come with their own sub-belt hardware.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Did you order it through BMW?
Previous owner gave it to me.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Palting
I was happy with it for what I originally intended t for: mount the 6 point harness while keeping the stock seats, then take it off after the event, then put it back on again for the next event. Takes all of 20 minutes.

After a time, with more knowledge about safety issues regarding harness mount vs roll bar coupled with stock seats vs seats with an anti-sub hole, I no longer use it as a harness mount. It's now a very expensive camera and lap timer mount .
Thanks Palting! Could you please clarify what you mean by safety issues and why you know longer use it? Not sure I quite follow. What is your setup for the track now?

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

There are several threads, both here and in the racing forum, where this issue has been hotly debated.

The issue revolves around the harnesses keeping you upright in a roll-over and roof collapse, vs the stock 3 points where you can lean over to one side. You have some protection with a roll bar, none with the harness bar. I still contend that the B-pillars should hold up in a roll over, but cabs like yours don't have B-pillars. However, you do have the pop-up bars.

The flip side of the issue is safety of the roll bar on the street. Some claim significant head injury can result in a parking lot fender bender if the unhelmeted head should hit the roll bar. Roll bar padding is not a protection. Supposedly.

Anyway, take your pic among the opinions. I can get pretty secure by locking the 3 point belts and then pulling the seat forward. I have also decided that the rest of the stuff with harness bar and 6point harness is too much hassle for a questionable benefit and questionable increased risk. I just bought the tequipment roll bar and am currently wining and dining the wife for a pair of GT3 seats .
Old 07-30-2005, 01:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Makes sense. I used the hardtop when I am at the track for added security so I am thinking I might go with the harness mount and 5/6 point harnesses. Thanks again.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

There are several threads, both here and in the racing forum, where this issue has been hotly debated.

The issue revolves around the harnesses keeping you upright in a roll-over and roof collapse, vs the stock 3 points where you can lean over to one side. You have some protection with a roll bar, none with the harness bar. I still contend that the B-pillars should hold up in a roll over, but cabs like yours don't have B-pillars. However, you do have the pop-up bars.

The flip side of the issue is safety of the roll bar on the street. Some claim significant head injury can result in a parking lot fender bender if the unhelmeted head should hit the roll bar. Roll bar padding is not a protection. Supposedly.

Anyway, take your pic among the opinions. I can get pretty secure by locking the 3 point belts and then pulling the seat forward. I have also decided that the rest of the stuff with harness bar and 6point harness is too much hassle for a questionable benefit and questionable increased risk. I just bought the tequipment roll bar and am currently wining and dining the wife for a pair of GT3 seats .

Very good points!! Thanks for bringing this up. :tumbup:
Old 07-31-2005, 10:57 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Palting, we just put the tequipment bar in, fits very nice, only the backseat passengers might bump their heads. I would just get some padding for the bar. It was the teq 4-point bar w/o x-brace.,it was a bitch to install, check out renntech diy on this one and be sure to switch out the bolts. The bolts supplied are terrible and have a propensity to crossthread easily, just replace with some grade 8 or chrome moly 7/16 NC bolts. Strangely, this is the only part of a 996 that uses nonmetric bolts, must be farmed out to a US manufacturer or a highway safety reg that requires a 7/16 bolt.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the tequipment roll bar and am currently wining and dining the wife for a pair of GT3 seats .
Palting, FWIW brandywine porsche who had the best price for the seats may have run out of it, I think suncoast may have some left ?????, this is info from another tracker who saw my set-up and bought it from brandywine, and he had said he got the last pair of gt3 seats from them.

I know this type of scare tactics work, having heard Chris say they may be stopping production of X73's I'll be placing my order monday , I called yesterday and Noel was'nt there. So, i'm pretty sure you'll be trynig to find a set soon .

FYI, the gt3 seats do not come with the sub-belt bar, you'll have to purchase them seperately, either tequipment (cheaper) or brey-krause (Allows the mounting of a fire-extinguisher).

Jeeva
Old 07-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, jeeva. "Running out", "stopping production" doesn't really faze me anymore. There's always something else to get. If it's that good, there will always be a market. Where there's a market, there will always be supply. If not, then there's probably something better that's selling better, that's why no more production on the lesser product.

Anyway, my big quandary right now is, which car to mod for track? If the 987S will be the track car, it doesn't make sense to keep throwing mods on the C4S. OTOH, the performance potential/limit is theoretically higher on the 911 vs the 987, so maybe I should keep modding the C4S. Or, go for a used/new GT3 in a few years, so save the money for that.

Right now, I'm sorta dreaming of the third option .
Old 07-31-2005, 11:18 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Just did the o2C2 for the 04 GT3. It's more then you can hope for!!! One of the best moves I ever made!
Old 08-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Graeme
AutoX

Originally Posted by LVDell
Are you happy with it? Best place to get one?

I shopped on the BK website and it says I need R1029 Kit and would like to hear any comments (pos and neg) about the BK product.

Thanks all!
I have one in my 996 coupe and have been using it for a couple of years now at DEs. While I understand the safety issues around trapping you upright, the benefits of a 6-point harness on the track are immense.

As others have said, it is very easy to put in and take out (and keeps the rear seats available) and is well engineered and completely solid once everything is bolted in. I know a bunch of people that have them for DE/track days and everyone is happy.

I bought mine at OG-Racing who I highly recommend. I also got the inside/outside belt BK mounts so the lap belt clips in/out easily.

I just helped someone get a similar setup and they found the mount on ebay for ~$100 -- they do get sold there and tend to go cheaply.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Graeme.....what are the inside/outside mounts? Thanks!

I am just trying to figure out everything I would need in addition to the mount. I assume I will have to go with 4 point instead of 5/6 because I am just going to use the standard full power seats and 1) there is no seperator in the middle of the seat for the sub belt(s) to come through and 2) no sure if the sub belt mount would even fit under the full power seat.

Anybody have experience with this setup?

Quick Reply: Anybody using a Brey Krause harness mount?