Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anybody using a Brey Krause harness mount?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Graeme
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Graeme.....what are the inside/outside mounts? Thanks!

I am just trying to figure out everything I would need in addition to the mount. I assume I will have to go with 4 point instead of 5/6 because I am just going to use the standard full power seats and 1) there is no seperator in the middle of the seat for the sub belt(s) to come through and 2) no sure if the sub belt mount would even fit under the full power seat.

Anybody have experience with this setup?
They are BK R-9001 and R-9003 -- they allow you to clip in/out the lap-belt. R-9003 goes under the seat belt anchor on the door side and R-9001 goes under the seat belt anchor on the seat. They are expensive, but worth it.

I have the full power seats and what I did was mount the sub belt under the seat runners -- the only issue here is that the torx bolts that hold the runners are a little short, so I had to get some longer bolts (since I did this I notice that the >2002 torx bolts are actually longer so you could use those since I had problems finding replacement bolts).

So this gives you 6 point which works well -- the only issue is the sub cuts into my thighs a little. I have also seen people use a bracket that doesn't interfere with the power seats and brings the sub belts in towards the center of the seat. I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells this (and its not the BK sub-belt mount).

You have to use subs -- its dangerous otherwise.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the quick response Graeme. I have an appt with my local Porsche indep shop later this week so I will go over it all with them.

Thanks again for the help
Old 08-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

IMO using 6-point with the stock seat is unsafe, you need a proper seat like the gt3 seats or Recaro's. It's probably safer to leave the 3-point belt than change anything at all.
Jeeva
Old 08-01-2005, 07:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

One of our local certified instructors has the 5 point setup in his car with the standard seats. I am going to check out their setup again this Saturday at our PCA breakfast. I'll take some pics.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

LVDell,

You can use a 6 point with standard seats. What you do is clip the sub belts to the same inboard and outboard mounts as the lapbelts. You place the sub belts on the top surface of the seat cushion and sit on it. You bring the sub belt buckle up between your legs and snap everything in place. It is very similar to a parachute harness that goes between your legs. They only issue that I have had is that the eye of the inboard BK mount is a tight fit for bot the lap belt clip and the sub belt clip.

Cheers,

PS I forgot to mention that my 6 point harness is a Schroth. Very high quality, very comfortable.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Fred. Is this the setup you have?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes I have this setup for my TT.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Do you have any pics that you mind posting or PM me? Thanks Fred!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:42 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Just a thought. You must be crazy to use a harness with the stock seats. The most dangerous part of the whole thing is the shoulder belts probably won't stay in place in an impact. You are much safer with the standard belts unless you change to a proper seat.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I have to disagree with you on that one. Keep in mind I am just a DE guy with maybe less than a doen track days under my belt and I am basing my opinion on what I have read heard and what I have seen and experienced in others cars with the EXACT setup I am looking to go with.

I took several hot laps with my instructor in his car with the "standard" seats and it was perfect. Why wouldn't the shoulder belts stay in place? They have a limited area they can move on the harness mount anyway (about an inch of movement each direction on the bar before hitting the end of the mounting point side) and the shoulder harness doesn't rest on the seat. The hole in the GT3 seats is so the shoulder harness belts get to you at your shoulder since the top is so high for head support.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

While I agree that the holes in racing seats are not there to hold the belts, they are there to allow the belts to be kept at the correct width off the bar.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Looks like this mount does exactly that though (keeps them in proper width).
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2005, 01:06 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

What about the belts as they have to make their way around the seatback?

Listen, you can do whatever you want, you are a big boy, but maybe you should take a look at some of the safety threads on the racing section before you go ahead with something that "seems" to work for your previous instructor
Old 08-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Dell,

Anything is possible. We just want to make sure any decisions you make are informed decisions. Here's some info you can chew on.

My Shroth 6 point harness came with very precise instructions on how to install the belts. All bets are off if the instructions were not followed to the letter.

Here's some more
Old 08-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Last one:

Hope this helps make any decision you make an informed one. I don't need to remind you that fatalities do occur in DE.

Quick Reply: Anybody using a Brey Krause harness mount?