Sponsored by:

Navigation Disc Compatibility Between Manufacturers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:05 PM
m5guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Disc Compatibility Between Manufacturers

Does anyone know if the Navigation CD's (for a 2002 996) are compatible between different manufacturers? I know that Navteq supplies the navigation data for Porsche. But I think they also supply the discs for several other manufacturers, including Audi, BMW, Ford, Lincoln, Jaguar, VW, Maserati, etc.

Would the navigation discs be compatible between these different manufacturers? Meaning, if I found a BMW nav disc available, could I stick it in the 996 system and have it work?

Thanks,.
David
Old 07-28-2005, 11:28 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m5guru
Does anyone know if the Navigation CD's (for a 2002 996) are compatible between different manufacturers? I know that Navteq supplies the navigation data for Porsche. But I think they also supply the discs for several other manufacturers, including Audi, BMW, Ford, Lincoln, Jaguar, VW, Maserati, etc.

Would the navigation discs be compatible between these different manufacturers? Meaning, if I found a BMW nav disc available, could I stick it in the 996 system and have it work?

Thanks,.
David
let us know
Old 07-29-2005, 02:21 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, the mapping is specific to the maker of the Navigation Unit. Unless the navigation units are the same make, the disc will not work. Most manufacturers use different brands of Navi. Some german car makers may have same Navi but MB, BMW, Ford, Jag, Lexus are definitely different brands. Not sure if Audi and VW share the same Nav unit. If so, their headunit should look very much alike if not identical.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:46 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
No, the mapping is specific to the maker of the Navigation Unit. Unless the navigation units are the same make, the disc will not work. Most manufacturers use different brands of Navi. Some german car makers may have same Navi but MB, BMW, Ford, Jag, Lexus are definitely different brands. Not sure if Audi and VW share the same Nav unit. If so, their headunit should look very much alike if not identical.
Yep, I don't even think if head units are same you have a work........Navtec is in biz for profit (regardless how bad their data is ).........if you have a sim Navtec CD based unit in an AMG, those MB CDs definately won't work in your Porsche.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:14 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Since Navtec makes its money selling data to manufacturers, it is logical that they would not allow it to transfer.
The Navtec data in a Lincoln, for example, is far more comprehensive than in a Porsche, at least up til 2003.
Porsche didn't buy enough data initially, and they know it. I have heard that the newest systmes are fine. AS
Old 07-31-2005, 06:18 PM
m5guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did Porsche go with a DVD based system with the 997 in 2005? Or did they switch to DVD before then? My 2002 system is CD based.

David

Quick Reply: Navigation Disc Compatibility Between Manufacturers