996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Unstable on wet roads

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Jan_M
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires have only around 3-4000 kms. thread depth looks OK to me. Sounds like I need to go back to a store and get allignment checked again.

Thanks for hints. Will post results later.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:21 PM
StanSoph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hydroplaning. 130 k/ph with ANY standing water is a likely scenario. The car is traveling on some pretty wide rubber. These cars only handle like magic when on dry pavement and semi magical when wet. If I get caught out in the rain; I age 50yrs and go SLOW, I don't want to wad my car up. They are fun to hang the rearend out when it's damp.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are running good quality tires, rain does not effect the handling of these cars much at reasonable speeds. Standing water is another story.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:00 AM
ebaker
Pro

It probably hs excessive rear toe in. That makes the rear steer itself a little depending on which rear tire has the most traction.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If you are running good quality tires, rain does not effect the handling of these cars much at reasonable speeds. Standing water is another story.
let me guess......In your Opinoin......tires never were out?.....

DO tell , how rain does not effect how a car handles?....

standing water?.....When did you get the stupid idiot award?...and when did you master it?...
Old 08-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Jan_M
Racer

OK. Back from allignment shop. My values were way out of whack...!!!!! So much toe-in on my back axle must have created this handling behaviour. How did they change so much is a mystery. have not tried on wet yet. Am eager to see how the car handles on wet; on dry it turns in faster. One thing though, wheels produce less road noise.

Does anyone run toe out on rear and toe in on fronts?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:44 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I had to drive my 996 an entire day through all levels of rain on Friday. It handled better than I expected. No wobble.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 AM
snaproll
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jan_M
OK. Back from allignment shop. My values were way out of whack...!!!!! So much toe-in on my back axle must have created this handling behaviour. How did they change so much is a mystery. have not tried on wet yet. Am eager to see how the car handles on wet; on dry it turns in faster. One thing though, wheels produce less road noise.

Does anyone run toe out on rear and toe in on fronts?
While the suspension changes may have fixed your problem, don't discount the possibility of hydroplaning also being a factor. The absence of the problem in the dry suggests your situation may have been a product of the two. While a number of factors influence hydroplaning, including tread depth and pattern, depth of water, tire contact patch and vehicle speed, the easiest variable to control is speed. Hydroplaning occurs because the tire is moving so fast that the tread cannot displace the water and the tire loses contact with the pavement. 130 Km/Hr could be easily 50Km/Hr too fast, depending on conditions.

Quick Reply: Unstable on wet roads