Sponsored by:

Baby Seat Question for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:36 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Baby Seat Question for a friend

Good friend just upgraded to a 2001 996 C4. He has a 2 year old girl about 25 pounds. I thought that Porsche makes a suitable carseat for a child that size that goes in the rear seat. The questions is 1) does anyone have this seat and have the part number 2) whether any anchors need to be installed in the rear seat and 3) anyother child seat experience would be appreciated. No one is married to the Porsche seat especiallly if it is the rumored $500!

Thanks in advance

ScottS
Old 07-24-2005, 05:50 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that seat and use it every weekend for my 2 1/2 year old daughter.

1) Yes, Porsche makes a carseat for a child that size that goes in the rear seat (or front with the airbag deactivation bar) It is called the "Porsche Junior Seat LATCH" and the part numbers are as follows:

(1998-2004 911
w/deactivation device)
part no. PNA 044 800 39

(2005 911
w/o de-activation device)
part no. 955 044 800 39

2) No anchors need be installed;

3) I believe that Britax may make the seat, and you may be able to buy a non-Porsche branded Britax seat BUT you need to check the top. Most car seats have wide tops that cause problems in the rear seat (because they hit the side windows at the top and cause the seat to tilt). The Porsche seat is narrow at the top (it actually bends in at the top) so that the seat fits properly.

I like it. I like that it is Porsche I didn't like the price. Oh well, 2 outa 3 ain't bad.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:43 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I used the Britax Marathon for my 2 y/o son. It was very secure but the top of the seat butted into the C-pillar.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Britax Roundabout. It is smaller than the Marathon. I have not tried it yet, but my understanding is that this basically the same thing as the Porsche Jr. Seat. There are some earlier threads (a year ago?), where people talked about using this seat successfully as a forward-facing seat in the back. My son is only 9 months old and can't use a forward-facing seat yet. Three more months!
Old 07-25-2005, 02:09 AM
itradem
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Britax Roundabout works very well... a bit of a contorsion exercise getting it mounted, but the fit is very good... also a very highly rated seat from a safety standpoint...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 AM
TurboMark
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always heard the Marathon worked so I bought it.

I can tell you from this personal experience that the Marthon does not fit well (in the back seat) and the front seat must be moved up to a uncomforatble position for the passenger to accomodate it (in the back seat). I dont know the model to recommend but i would recommend that you look for a seat that has the lowest footprint to make 'taking the baby' a good experience. I haven't done it yet but I am going to pull my car up to Babies r Us and try them all until I get the right fit.

M
Old 07-25-2005, 10:09 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the Marathon WILL NOT FIT. I have a few for the twins in the minivan. This is why I said that you really need to make sure the seat edges do not rub at the top. Roundabout may fit, but I think the Porsche seat fits even better. The roundabout and the Porsche seat are NOT the same at the top IIRC.

Quick Reply: Baby Seat Question for a friend