996 PPI

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:48 PM
jgdixon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 PPI

hi Guys,
I'm both new to the forum and hopefully soon to be a new 1st time Porsche owner. (treated myself for turning 50)
I am finalizing a deal on a '99 C4 in Ontario, Canada. I have booked the car in for a pre purchase inspection. What type of work should they be doing? They said it will take 5 hours and will be doing a leak down / compression test to check for cylinder wear? What about the RMS issue, what do I look for?
Any help and advice as I try and finalize my dream purchase will be much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the board. Hope your PPI comes in clean. Five hours is way to long unless they are doing something well beyond standard. Most PPI's are at best two and half to three hours. Here in Oregon, at two independent shops they charge 350.00 to 395.00 with all print outs for compression, codes thrown, coolant test, etc.

RMS issues affect all cars not just P/cars. Some Porsche owners have a tendancy to go way overboard when they have an RMS issue. Its like the end of the world. Some P/cars have had several RMS failures, and some have had none. The vast majority have no RMS issues. If you prospective car is leaking at the rear main...you need to discuss that with your mechanic and consider that the value of the car from a negotiation standpoint could be less because of an RMS failure.

Jim

Good luck
Old 07-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Gnome
Racer

I had a PPI done when I bought mine. They said there is no need for a leakdown test because everything can be pulled from the car's computer. They gave me a long printout that had all kinds of info, including how many times the car had been over-revved (zero) and how many times the car alarm had been set off (four). It was funny, the previous owner was surprised that the over-revs were zero. I don't remember what the PPI cost, but the entire thing wasn't more than an hour or two, and part of that was just hooking up the computer and waiting for the readouts.

Good luck and enjoy the car!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:51 AM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

JGdixon, where are you located in Ontario ?? Maybe I can refer you to 2 shops in Toronto that are REALLY highly rated if the car has not been worked on as of yet.

Theo
Old 07-22-2005, 11:37 AM
jgdixon
Advanced

I am in Burlington and the car is coming from Ottawa.
The car is being inspected by Mark Motors on Tuesday.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:25 PM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Mark Motors is fine. You should have no worries there.

Check your e-mail.

Theo

Quick Reply: 996 PPI