Sponsored by:

Drain Bramage??? :-(

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:22 PM
redhatcab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain Bramage??? :-(

So I take my 99 C2 Cab out Saturday night and the check engine light comes on. The car has just under 40K miles and has been a gem. No engine problems since I have owned it and no check engine lights either. The car seemed to run same as always. Luckily I was scheduled this morning to take it in to have my ROW M030 suspension installed. So I asked the service manager to check the codes and let me know what they were. I don't take it to the dealership because it is out of factory warranty and the shop I use is a very experienced private Porsche shop here in Raleigh.

Long story short I get a call when the car is done and the service manager tells me that my 996's computer will not talk to their DME to read the codes. He tells me that he has seen this a lot lately with early 996s and that it often means the cars computer needs to be replaced. He says it's like a 2K job and that I will have to take it to the dealer to see if that is actually what the problem is.

Questions:

Has anyone else heard of this as a common problem with early 996's? Also what is the warranty on something like that? Since the computer monitors many of the emissions systems on the car can it be considered as part of the emisssions system? I think most emissions parts these days are warranted for 80K by law. I may be wrong on that though. Luckily I bought extra warranty through the dealership so if its not covered by Porsche hopefully it will be covered by the extra warranty. Thanks in advance for any information you all can give...

Oh...and the ROW M030 is amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone considering it!
Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My $100 Actron reader works fine on my 99 996, but won't work on my 00 M5, which I suspect may be having the same sort of computer problem.

Uber
Old 07-11-2005, 09:10 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try another shop to read the code. If not, go to dealer to read the code.

Until the code is read, you won't know what sensor failed. Did the dash display any error message besdies the CEL? Besides O2 sensor, other possible culprit can be MAF and many other sensors. I doubt if o2 sensors are part of emission warranty but I could be wrong. Usually it's just the cat and muffler.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a loose gas cap...or NOT. Get the codes read at the dealer

Quick Reply: Drain Bramage??? :-(