Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Okay, finally a pic of X74/M030 RoW hybrid suspension all settled in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:12 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb2448
So whats left for the C4S Cab ? Heard that the X73 is for the coupe only and according to the dealer the M030 won't work either but Carnewal has a Euro M030 for Cab so please stop the madness on this final mod for me...somebody..anybody before Dennis gets here.
Carnewal is a good source. One thing to realize is the difference between what "fits" and what Porsche recommends.

For instance, the x74 is designed by Porsche for the 02+ cars. It will "fit" the early 996s, but Porsche doesn't recommend it (I believe this is due to the cars being less torsionally rigid).

I think the same goes for x74 and x73 on cabrios (narrow and widebody). it'll bolt right up, but Porsche didn't tune it for the (relatively) flexy chassis, and therefore it isn't supported (nor my guess is it warranted).
Old 07-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Fordo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for clearing quite a bit up with the great explainations from all. So the onlt suspension from porsche for a 1999 996 is the M030??? Does everyone generally stick with Porsche suspension or is there an aftermarket company that makes it as good?
Old 07-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Were you concerned at all about the Bilsteins being tuned for the X74's progressive springs versus a linear rate? Have you driven your car and a ROWM030 car back to back? If so, what are your impressions?

Net: Why did you go w/the x74 shocks?
I thought it out backwards. The X74s are Bilstein's own Sport tuning spec for the C2s. Porsche matched their X74 Springs to those shocks. I took a chance and figured that the RoWs are matched to the C2s weight to produce a certain tauntness. I think people conjur up images of specific force matching with dampers and springs, while in reality it is more like overlapping ranges. The X74s/Bilstein Sports are 40% stiffer than stock C2s. The rear springs are approx. 30% stiffer than stock. The extra 10% extra compression valving will add a little more rate to my rear springs than a normal RoW M030 car. I don't hhave any jounce in my rear end even with single rear dip rollovers. Perhaps, Porsche went progressive in the back because they didn't want the initial compression bite of the rear springs to be abrupt. The front springs are 17% stiffer than stock, so I am getting more added sring rate in the front than in back. Again, I am not being jostled on really rough roads beyond toleration. The car corners so flat (for a street car), that it is ridiculous. I have ridden on 18"s in an RoW M030 996 and a U.S. M030 on 18"s. The U.S. was a markedly harsher then the RoW. My current set up is tighter than the RoW car, but not as harsh as the U.S. M030 with all the benefits of an X74. I think the soft dampers used in the U.S. M030 is what made them so harsh. Going harder on the dampers doesn't appear to have been too much, IMHO. I have great loathing for a Lexus ride if that summarizes my tastes.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by siberian
Any idea who supplies the components? Could this be equated to ROW030=BILSTEIN SPORTS, X74=BILSTEIN HD? I may be way offbase...
Per Bilstein, the HDs are 20% stiffer and Sports are about 40%.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by ckl93
The X74 also fits pre '02 cars. I had it installed on my '01 C4 and I'm loving it. You can still bottom out though if you're not careful. I happen to hit a narrow unpaved section of road just right and the bottom scrapped a bit. You'll be amazed by the improved handling of the car.
This and the fact that the springs are progressive made me go RoW 030. The front drops approx. 20mm with the M030, but about 30-35mm with X74 front springs.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Re-animator
Racer

but Porsche doesn't recommend it (I believe this is due to the cars being less torsionally rigid).

I think the same goes for x74 and x73 on cabrios (narrow and widebody). it'll bolt right up, but Porsche didn't tune it for the (relatively) flexy chassis, and therefore it isn't supported (nor my guess is it warranted).
Yup, the evoms rear strut brace is theoretically to help make up the 8% torsional reigidity deficit in late narrow bodies vs. the stiffest wide bodies that are bonded and welded better in back to account for the wider stance.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Re-animator
Racer

- I've heard reliable reports that the x74 shocks are the same thing as the Bilstein sports you can buy aftermarket. My guess, if this is true, is that Bilstein got permission from Porsche to use the valving they came up with for the x74 package and sell it as the Bilstein Sport (not the other way around).
Bilstein technical confirms the valving and rod is exactly the same in X74 and aftermarket Sports. As far as propriety rights on the X74 valving; I don't think the manufacterer needs permission to use anything it develops for a client when the intent is to sell in the aftermarket is well. Bilstein says they designed the application for Porsche; whereas, Wiessach designed the damper valving on everything else. We know PAG would be sueing the crap out of Bilstein, otherwise. If they'll take their customers to court, then the OEM suppliers are fair game.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Carnewal is a good source for X73 / X74 kits although the Euro exchange rate has hurt prices. Good website to compare various suspensions and also some good writeups on X74 (see link on X74 C2 page).
Old 07-07-2005, 10:31 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was looking at the X73/4 kits recently on Carnewal and they were on sale. Euro has been down, relatively, in the past few weeks and I've been leaning more toward the X74s over the PSS9s esp after I saw Gert was running a sale (1600 eu vs 2000eu)
Old 07-08-2005, 01:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My X73 came with very solid motor mounts, no bumper brace or sways, Braman Porsche and Suncoast are both selling X73 for 1799 usd, that's 1k off. Not sure about the x74.
One thing about the mounts, if you don't put them in, porsche won't warranty the parts according to the boys at braman, they are cosiderably stiffer than stock.
Either way, 030 or the X's, oem is the way to go, reanimator has come up with a good idea, imo.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 AM
porch
Advanced

Originally Posted by Re-animator
An inch in front and about 3/4 of an inch in back. The RoW M030 springs are linear so I can count on consistent compression characteristics across the whole range of spring motion. I'm running 25 3/4" ground to center fender all the way around.
Where did you source your parts?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm thoroughly confused now...
Could someone noodle me through as to the advantages the OEM set up has over Bilstein Sports or PSS9s?
Thanks
Old 07-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by porch
Where did you source your parts?
Bilsteins can be had from A.W.E. Tuning or shox.com and any Porsche dealer can bring in the proper springs and the M030 rear sway bar. The springs are under $100 per axle and the bar was under $100 as well. The RoW rear bumpstops were about $40.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by siberian
Ok, I'm thoroughly confused now...
Could someone noodle me through as to the advantages the OEM set up has over Bilstein Sports or PSS9s?
Thanks
I know my warranty is safe at my dealer by using Porsche parts (springs); and this is from a place that will void warranty if aftermarket mufflers are used secondary to the risk of "burning a valve". PSE is warranty safe there, though.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The main advantage of oem is the significant amount of R&D that has gone into it, just for your car. They will work perfectly.

Quick Reply: Okay, finally a pic of X74/M030 RoW hybrid suspension all settled in.