Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket brake long term updates, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket brake long term updates, anyone?

StopTech, Brembo, various slotted rotors, Alcon, etc... Anyone have anything to say about the aftermarket products? Any regrets? Is there anyone out there who wished they should have just stayed with the factory rotors? I wish Consumer Reports had a feature on this....Maybe Pano or Excellence might have an article on this. Any leads welcome.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:54 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arthur
StopTech, Brembo, various slotted rotors, Alcon, etc... Anyone have anything to say about the aftermarket products? Any regrets? Is there anyone out there who wished they should have just stayed with the factory rotors? I wish Consumer Reports had a feature on this....Maybe Pano or Excellence might have an article on this. Any leads welcome.
i've had the stoptechs, fronts only for almost 3 months now so no long term reports yet. i can tell you though, with yellow pagid pads and ate gold, they stop like a brick wall, over and over and over again, without fading! this is hard, threshold braking, in 90~100F heat (track temps around 120F). tires are usually the limiting factor in braking but because of the heat and all the rubber laid down tires were sticking like glue so they were really working the brakes. i wish the yellow pads weren't so squeaky otherwise i would be using them year round. they have good cold braking characteristics so they would be excellent for the street.

i got them for the increased thermal capacity that a larger rotor has (increase brake torque too). are you looking for track worthiness, canyon carving brakes or bling? you'll have it all but kinda pricey for bling
Old 07-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Arthur
Pro

Thanks Carlos. Not much into "bling". I am at a point where the factory rotors are nearly gone @40k miles, and 25 days of DE's. Time to change to either factory hats, or do the StopTech upgrade. Upgrade will be for increased braking capacity ONLY. I suppose that term means increased brake torque, heat dissipation, etc. I cook my PF's and rotors at DE events. I am sure I will eventually reach the threshold of the "bigger" brakes. Then I guess it's time for more upgrades. I guess that's a yea for StoTech.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:08 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Carlos. Not much into "bling". I am at a point where the factory rotors are nearly gone @40k miles, and 25 days of DE's. Time to change to either factory hats, or do the StopTech upgrade. Upgrade will be for increased braking capacity ONLY. I suppose that term means increased brake torque, heat dissipation, etc. I cook my PF's and rotors at DE events. I am sure I will eventually reach the threshold of the "bigger" brakes. Then I guess it's time for more upgrades. I guess that's a yea for StoTech.

definitely sounds like you are a candidate for new/bigger brakes. the stoptech rotors measure 355x32mm whereas the stock rotors are 318x28mm so there's more capacity for carrying and dissipating heat. the patented cooling vanes are really nice too. they claim the best airflow out of all rotors. stoptech engineers their calipers to retain similar braking characteristics, similar brake torque for the given increase in rotor size so as to not mess with the ABS. if there is too much torque then it can fool the ABS and trigger the ABS too soon. there is a good read on their website regarding big brake kits.

man i am sounding like i'm selling these but i'm not. no affiliation with stoptech.

brembos are nice too but they are even more expensive, i think 600 bucks more than the stoptechs yet they are still 4 pot calipers.

oh ya, a good fluid bleed every 5 events with castrol srf wouldn't hurt either this would be the cheapest way to go.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Arthur
Pro

What brake cooling ducts are you using?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:02 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

What brake cooling ducts are you using?

stock 996. i'll be upgrading to gt3 cup brake ducts when/if i start getting heat problems.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:35 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

I have been running my StopTech 4 wheel kit since Januaryish. No problems, pads are fine and I have tracked the car 3 times. (When I track, I track hard). Rotors are perfect with no problems. I might change the pads in another month just for upkeep. I have the RUF bumper which has the factory air ducts....

Quick Reply: Aftermarket brake long term updates, anyone?