Sponsored by:

Nakamichi / McIntosh / Dynaudio hi-fi for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Seamus H
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi / McIntosh / Dynaudio hi-fi for sale

Audiophile Nakamichi / McIntosh / Dynaudio hi-fi removed from my 996 C2 when I sold it a few weeks ago. I worked with a top installer through several iterations until it sounded right. This can be installed without any permanent modification to your 996. Components list:

• Nakamichi MB-100 6-disc in-dash with remote pre-amp (pre-amp mounts above passenger footwell). Has a infrared remote
• Dynaudio SYS 340 3-way component speakers. Tweeters and mids modified to fit into stock dash-top plastic grill. Woofers mounted on custom MDF baffles which fit stock door mounting. The Dynaudio crossovers have been modified in consultation with the Dynaudio factory to eliminate the harshness that you get when firing a tweeter directly at the windshield (great stock speaker positioning Porsche).
• A/D/S 344iM Co-axial speakers which fit into stock rear speaker enclosures behind stock baffles.
• 2x Image Dynamics idg 8” subwoofers mounted in custom fabricated fiberglass enclosure. I used twin 8” rather than a larger sub (i) for faster response (ii) it enables a completely stealth installation directly behind the rear seats (ii) I’m more concerned with accurate musical reproduction than adolescent bass-boom. I settled on this configuration after trying a front passenger foot well mounted 10” sub, and 3x8” mounted in a larger non-stealth rear enclosure). There is a flat panel that fits above the sub and extends horizontally from the back of the seats to under bottom of the rear window covered in black carpet (note this carpet has no rubber backing so that it is more or less acoustically transparent).
• McIntosh MCC222 two channel power amplifier used to drive the front Dynaudios. This is rated at 2x110w, but these are McIntosh watts (i.e. considerably more attention given to the power supplies and the ability to accurately handle peak current demands that your typical auto amp).
• McIntosh MC224 four channel power amp: two channels used to drive rear A/D/S speakers and the two remaining channels bridged to drive the subs.
• Custom enclosure for the amps which mounts at the bottom of the front trunk unbaked grey Porsche carpet covering provides sufficient ventilation of the two fan-cooled amps. No much of a show as the amps are completely stealth, but they do a little to help CofG and weight distribution .
• Lots of Pheonix Gold twisted-pair interconnect and speaker cable (important in a 996 to avoid hum and whine, as is grounding), power distribution assembly, etc. and an extra Porsche 4-disk CD tray.

Sorry for the long post, but a lot of thought effort went into getting this system right. Cost me $7,091.04. All in used but perfect condition in original packaging with manuals. I can post more photos of any component. Sell for $3,250 + shipping.
Attached Images          
Old 07-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Fordo
Advanced

Why did someone not just buy that wonderful setup with the car? Did you have to take it all out and return it to stock? I have the exact same amp and shelf system as yours. Very stealthy looking setup indeed. My sub is inside the spare tire and has the cover on it too.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Seamus H
AutoX

I had to return the car to stock. So all the stuff which made it even more fun had to come out. When you take a close look at the stock components, e.g. untreated paper cone drivers from Nokia you quickly realize why the stock setup sounds so bad.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:15 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Are you getting another p-car? How difficult is the install? Is it a DIY'er or would I have to take it in to a pro?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Seamus H
AutoX

I'm saving for a 997 TT, although it may be a while as a house move, major remodel and need for a four door card with a new baby have taken the place of the 996. Most of the install is straightforward, for example there are a few articles online about how to remove a 996 door panel (things like the phillips head screw behind the silver Airbag label) which was useful, the amps and sub enclosure are pretty easy. The more complex parts are: (i) figuring out the correct pin-outs on the plastic connector that fits into the stock radio (this is important if you plan to reuse any of the stock speaker cabling. With the HiFi sound option the stock cables are not too bad, I used the stock cables for the rear A/D/S speakers and ran new cables for the Dynaudio fronts and the sub, and (ii) although not that technically complex getting upside down with your head in the front footwells to wire the crossovers and pre-amp makes the blood rush to your head. One option would be to install all the parts that you can and then have an install familiar with the 996 install anything thats left.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 PM
robj400
AutoX

I have the Dynaudio Sys 340 mounted in my 02 c2 also. Can you share how you modified the Dynaudio crossovers to eliminate the harshness. I have been tweeking an Eclipse competition equalizer in an attempt to get rid of it. Thanks for any information you can share.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Seamus H
AutoX

The issue is a spike in the upper reaches of the mid range driver and the lower reaches of the tweeter resulting from poor speaker positioning by Porsche. After the installer talking with Dynaudio they suggested new capacitor values for the passive crossovers to attenuate the mids and treble beyond the limited factory adjustment. The installer purchased some high quality audiophile capacitors (don't use the Radio Shack ones) and swapped out the stock ones. The McIntosh amps are quite laid back which helped matters. I was much happier the end result that the stock starting point, that said you could probably do better with a fully active system and a programable digital domain crossover, but then you lose all trunk space and besides thats not really the point of a 911. I'd call the Dynaudio factory, I can also open up the crossovers and try to read the specs of the modified components if you would like.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Seth W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Seamus!! Seth here. Congrats on the little one on the way. Long time no see. Good luck on the 997TT aquisition.

Hey everyone, I have heard this system. I got a demo about a year ago. This system is TREMENDOUS. Wonderful clarity, imaging--you name it. Seamus' car was also quite well cared for so you can bet that this is a mint system.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I can also vouch for the quality of this system. It's top notch.

Someone is going to get a great deal.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 PM
robj400
AutoX

Seamus,
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably try to contact Dynaudio and see what they advise. I'm using Arc Audio amplifiers which are also pretty smooth. Perhaps they will suggest a similar solution. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Nakamichi / McIntosh / Dynaudio hi-fi for sale