Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996 owner - and a first few mod questions ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 07:08 AM
man_of_ice
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 996 owner - and a first few mod questions ;-)

Hi all

I've been reading up on these boards for quite a while, and with the help of a lot of the threads I finally took the step from my 944 to a 996.

I'm the happy new owner of a 2000 C4 with 18" turbo look wheels, heated sport seats, full leather, sound system, cd-changer, PCM+navi+phone and a few other nice things.

I havent even driven it yet, and my first few mod questions arise already ;-)

The car needs PSE! Does anyone know a place in Sweden or Denmark where they can retro fit PSE for me - besides the obvious official and expensive Porsche Dealers.

Also - will disabling the "no PSE at low speeds" function give me trouble with the authorities in Sweden?

I know those are very region specific questions, but I hope you can help anyways.

Additional questions

The floor mats are ugly with a German Porsche dealer logo - do you have links in Europe to dealers who sell cool 911 mats?

I'm also looking for a place in Europe to buy the exhaust tips that look like 4 pipes - I hope you know which I mean. My guess is, that its a 5 minute job to take the stock ones off and put on the new ones.

Suggestions for other mods are welcome!!

The very important pics are here below (they are from the dealer - havent had a chance to take my own pics yet):

Old 07-01-2005, 07:40 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Ice - Welcome to the Forum and Congrads on getting your 996 P-car! Nice! I noticed you have the silver break calipers. I've never seen those before.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:32 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations on your new car. She is a beauty and I am sure the 4-wheel drive will come in handy in Sweden.

A lot of us have bought parts and accessories from Gert at www.carnewal.com. Carnewal is based in Belgium. They provide really good service which is why we buy from them despite the fact that the Euro is currently kicking the dollar's a$$.

I am not 100% if the information is accurate but I have read that the low speed cut-off of the PSE is designed to conform to very strict Swiss noise laws. You might be okay removing the cut-off in Sweden but double-check with local Porsche dealers and owners. If you're worried then you could install the electronic switch for the PSE and hit the switch whenever you see the polis (or if you're driving through Switzerland).

Cheers and welcome to Rennlist!
Old 07-01-2005, 10:36 AM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gota, Silver calipers are standard on C4. FYI
Old 07-01-2005, 10:43 AM
rval_1999
Instructor

Notice he has "sunroof delete" also....
Old 07-01-2005, 10:44 AM
rval_1999
Instructor

Also, odd that the rear badge does not say "Carrerra 4"????
Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Ekename
Pro

Ice,

Welcome to the forum. Your car looks really nice and I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Any muffler shop should be able to put a PSE on your car (esp if you don't want the quiet option) or you could even do it yourself. Don't know of any specific European place to get floor mats but Performance Products has a good selection.

Enjoy your car. It's a bad sign that you've already been bitten by the mod bug and you don't even have the car
Old 07-01-2005, 12:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rval_1999
Also, odd that the rear badge does not say "Carrerra 4"????
Can anbody say body work? That would throw up a red flag for me. Let's just hope the previous owner just goofed when re-badging the car.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:23 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

Hmmm - good point. Hadnt noticed the missing 4 yet! The import guy I use has run it through the Porsche databases and the car has been serviced at an authorized shop, and they have both checked out clean with no accidents.

But I better check. The deal can still be reversed if they gave false information!

Thanks for the heads up!!!

------
Edit

Just phoned the importer, and he assured me 110% that the car isnt damaged. The Carrera 4 was removed as the previous owner didnt want to advertise with the 4.

The car is bought from a authorized dealer in Germany, and they say its accident free. The importer told me, that in Germany its illegal by law to say a car is accident free when its not. So I'm satisfied.

He also promised to get me a Carrera 4 sign ;-)

Quick Reply: New 996 owner - and a first few mod questions ;-)