Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:51 AM
qfadder
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Newbie, looking at first one, need advice

Hello all!
The title says it all...
I'm new to the forum and new to the Porsche world. I'm looking to buy a 911, but am in need of some education. I've spent a bit of time searching through the forums, but I still have a few questions.

I ran across a 2001 C4 with 20k miles on it. The owner has it listed at $54k. Does that sound in line? Is this a 911 or a 996?
What else should I be asking?
Here's a pic. <---It's big. ~2MB

My wife has a high school friend that now owns his own Porsche shop, so I'm going to line up a PPI there.

I was looing at P. Zimmermans book, but it looks like stops at 1998. Should I buy it anyway? Is there other good info in there for me?

Also, where the 911 beginers FAQ?
-What's the difference between the Carrera and the C4?
-What's the difference between the C4 and the C4S?
-Do you see how ignorant I am?
I really need to do more research on the basics, but where should I start?
And... If I'm in the wrong forum, please accept my appologies in advance.

Thanks,

Last edited by qfadder; 06-29-2005 at 06:18 AM. Reason: 911
Old 06-29-2005, 09:14 AM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Many Question But Let's Give Them A Shot -
Yes the C4 (AWD) is a 996 - internal code name - which came out in the year 1999
Prior to that the 911 were also known as 993

Not sure on the Value of the C4 for 54K sound high to me....

C2 - Rear Wheel Drive x2
C4 - AWD
C4S AWD with more comestic flare, same 3.6

There are a couple of great books on Porsche.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:36 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Sounds high. I bought a 01' C4 for a couple grand less about 9 months ago, from a dealer, with an extended warranty. However, I don't have the factory aero package, which judging from the photo, your car does. You also have a rear wiper... Those options alone, could account from much of the difference in valuation. I would find out the options list for the car. The options list should be on a sticker, on the inside front cover of the owners manual. The options are also listed on a sticker, on the inside of the front bonnet. These cars are a la carte, so the options will play heavily into the valuation.

1999-2001 C2, C4's had 3.4l engine. This generates 300 hp (295 in 1999)
In 2002, Porsche increased the size of the C2 and C4 engines to 3.6L. This generates 320 Hp.
The C4S was only released in 2002, with a 3.6L engine. The C4S is essentially a Turbo, without the Turbos. So you get the flair, the third oil cooler and the turbo brakes.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:40 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look at the string of notes currently on the page about the Porsche vs the Corvette. If you can afford an '02 or newer, a lot of changes and upgrades. It's discussed in that note.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:58 AM
every day
Racer

- you're in the right forum
- go with a 2002 or newer if you can - more hp, revised aerodynamics, upgraded interior, revised front end look, and factory cupholders!!!!!!
- if you don't need all wheel drive, buy a C2 - lighter, cheaper, simpler
- price/value is not an easy question because of the wide range of equipment/option levels there are
- go to some PCA or POC events so you can see a variety of cars in one place (porsche club of america, porsche owners club)
- take your time and find the right one - it's out there...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:15 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm in the same boat and this forum has been very helpful. I started the Carrera vs. Corvetter Convertible thread and have decided the first thing to do is to test drive a 02' or newer Carrera. It sounds like too many features were added to the 02' model to pass on since I am looking at a used vehicle.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

qfadder, I don't know what the best price for a 01 C4 is, but it's important to know the changes for the 02's, among others an increase of 20hp and displacement from 3.4 L to 3.6.

911 is the generic name for all the 911 models, which are usually referred to as carrera's as well. 996 is the model designation for the 911 built from 1999 to 2004, the current model is 997,...the prior ones were 993's and 964's. 996 was the first 911 to have the water cooled engine, prior to that it's been air-cooled. Carrera usually means carrera2 (C2, RWD), C4 is carrera AWD. AWD is better in adverse whether conditions.

As I own a C4S I can give you the exact details of the differences between C4 and C4S, some may say it's got the cosmetic advantage, true but it's not the only diffference. As some one had already mentioned, it's got all the features of the turbo with the same motor as the C4.
The differences are 1) The wider body: Looks better and the resultant wider stance and the wider tires help in cornering. 2) Stiffer chassis: again a performance advantage. 3) Bigger turbo brakes and rotors, another performance advantage. 4) Turbo suspension: performance advantage 5) AWD all-weather capability 6) All leather standard: cosmetic. Walter Rohl (Porsche's test pilot), piloted the C4S faster than the C2 and C4 at the Nurburgring and later said it's the best balanced NA 996 he had driven.

But, all the 996's are very capable cars,...you would'nt regret.
Jeeva
Old 06-29-2005, 09:06 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

QF - also check out porscheusa.com. Look at all of the different offerings of the 911. While the 997 (997 is latest model of the 911) is the "next" generation, you can at least get a very good idea of the difference between a C2, C2S, C4S, TT, GT3.... etc., etc . Those basic differences hold true (generally speaking) for the 996 model, also. That will really lay the ground work for you about the differences between the versions.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Appleads
6th Gear

Talking Value determination

Welcome aboard. You're taking a smart approach by doing your homework. At the heart of your question is: "How much is the car really worth?" The easiest answer is to be on friendly enough terms with a used car dealer that he or she will let you see what similar cars are selling for during the monthly highline wholesale auctions. You'll need multiple examples to compare. And if they will show you the 'little black book' of used car values, so much the better. But let's assume you're like 99.9% of the rest of the world and aren't on such friendly and trusted terms with a used car dealer. Then you'll need to assemble as much pricing information as you can. Track every similar car you can find on AutoTrader, Ebay, Autoweek listings, and as many dealers cars as you can find. Try to stick to apple to apple comparisons. Don't compare a C4 with a C2, a cab with a coupe. Do compare the model you want, then track mileage, color, equipment levels/options/wheels, history (number of owners, major repairs) Each of these factors will affect the price, by as little as $500 say or as much as $5000 or more in the case of mileage and equipment levels. But if you do this you will be rewarded with knowing you got a great deal. Or, just assume you'll overpay by about $5,000 or so, and buy a good used one from your local porsche dealer who won't make more on the deal than that. Maybe less. And yes, I have worked selling Porsches for independent used car dealers (PA and GA). My last 'find' was for my brother: '99 Cab 996, Black, dark grey interior, black top, original list $102K, fully optioned including Nav, full leather, full carbon, 18 sport wheels, full factory Aerokit, 56K miles, two owner, new clutch from a private party in Florida for $35.5 in February of this year. So deals are out there. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Another Newbie, looking at first one, need advice