Sponsored by:

Carrera Cabriolet vs. C6 Corvette Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:14 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
From the sales '02 brochure: ...headlight system derived from the 911 Turbo. More discreet is the careful reshaping of the front and rear fenders, bumpers and air dam. The result is 25% less lift in the front and 40% less lift at the rear for improved high speed stability.... Reinforcements to the body structure have resulted in a 25% increase in torsional rigidity for crisper response and enhanced agility. The standard 17" wheels weigh almost eight pounds less than the previous design, while the optional 18" wheels are lighter by over 24 pounds. The front air ducts have been reshaped to increase the flow of cooling air to the radiators by 15%"

You also get 20 more HP, a glove box, better cup holders and a glass rear window in the cab. I test drove a number of cars and spent a few $$ more for an '02. You could definitely tell the difference when you drive them back to back.
Thanks for the info. I had noticed on their website that each vehicle has many options and you pay for every single one. I really like the Lapis Blue. The information about the difference between the '01 and the '02 was also very interesting. I don't think that I would want anything older than an '02. I think I need to research the options that were available on the '02 and decide which ones I need on the vehicle I purchase.

I really like the rims on yours. What rims are those?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:19 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveFromMN
I have had 5 Corvette's before getting my first Porsche. The only thing I miss is the low end torque of the big V8. The Porsche is so much more fun to drive. I attribute most of this to the shorter turning radius. The Corvette is almost 40 ft. You really have to drive both to understand the difference. I also miss a Chevy dealer every 10 miles for easy access to parts.
Thanks for the info. I know someone who is purchasing the new C6Z06 and 505 HP with 470 ft lbs of torque in a NA engine should be fun, but I don't think I would ever get the rpms up to use that HP.

I am very interested in driving the 996 to see how it handles. My guess is that I will find it more enjoyable as an everyday driver.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:23 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Dmac, I'm in Spartanburg, SC about an hour south on I26 if you want to go for a test drive. I recently purchased a 996 C4 and I considered the C6 as well. I know of another dealer in the area that has a couple of 996's also so there are plenty of options for you.

Shawn
Shawn,

Thanks for the offer. I will check the Porsche dealer link and see if I can find the one by you. If I am having difficulty finding one to drive, I may take you up on your offer. That is VERY generous of you! However, if it makes you feel any better, I am well insured and I've never had a moving violation. Did I just say that? I hope I didn't jinx myself.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:10 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Dmac - Rick Hill Porsche in Kingsport, TN (about 80 miles from Asheville) has an '02 cab. Check out the link below, no pic but some detail.

http://rick-hill.porschedealer.com/p...ntoryid=160474

Good Luck in your search.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are the Sport Classic. Nice but a b**** to keep clean.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac
Shawn,

Thanks for the offer. I will check the Porsche dealer link and see if I can find the one by you. If I am having difficulty finding one to drive, I may take you up on your offer. That is VERY generous of you! However, if it makes you feel any better, I am well insured and I've never had a moving violation. Did I just say that? I hope I didn't jinx myself.
If you're okay with an independent dealer check out www.snydersmotorco.com in Spartanburg. Knowledgable sales staff and low pressure environment.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gota911
Dmac - Rick Hill Porsche in Kingsport, TN (about 80 miles from Asheville) has an '02 cab. Check out the link below, no pic but some detail.

http://rick-hill.porschedealer.com/p...ntoryid=160474

Good Luck in your search.
I wish I were ready to pull the trigger now, because this one is very nice. I like the silver and the seal grey, but after seeing the Lapis Blue, I think I'd rather be singing the blues.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:01 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CLL ACAB
Those are the Sport Classic. Nice but a b**** to keep clean.
It could be worse to clean, you could have a black car too. Is it difficult to keep clean because of the break dust? I don't know if the Porsche has an option for ceramic break pads, but I've heard on another forum that these are a little cleaner without any disadvantage other than the slightly increased cost. However, I have no experience or first hand knowledge with this.

That is a great picture of your car. That wouldn't happen to be taken from your driveway would it?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:06 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
If you're okay with an independent dealer check out www.snydersmotorco.com in Spartanburg. Knowledgable sales staff and low pressure environment.
Thanks for the info. I checked out their inventory and they don't have what I'm looking for in stock at the moment. As I get closer to the point where I am ready for a purchase, I will give them a call. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:39 AM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

The problem with keeping the Sport Classic's clean is not the part you can see, it's what you can't see - inside the wheel. On wheels like the turbo twist and many of the stock models, you can fit you hand inside the spokes to clean the inside of the rim. With these, you have to use a number of brushes and its a lot of work.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Mitty
Racer

My co worker bought an '03 Z06 3 weeks after I bought my '99. His car has sooo much power. While we were going out for lunch one day, he said he could trade his Z06 for a 911 (never thought I would hear him say that). His Z06 is brutal. If you need a ton of HP/grunt, get the Z06. The 996 is easy to drive in a civil manner, yet will answer the call of the wild.
Drive both.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:15 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mitty
My co worker bought an '03 Z06 3 weeks after I bought my '99. His car has sooo much power. While we were going out for lunch one day, he said he could trade his Z06 for a 911 (never thought I would hear him say that). His Z06 is brutal. If you need a ton of HP/grunt, get the Z06. The 996 is easy to drive in a civil manner, yet will answer the call of the wild.
Drive both.
Thanks for the info. I actually just moved to Asheville, NC from PDX about a year ago. I lived in PDX for about 10 years and really liked it.

The 2006 Z06 will jump from the '03 405 HP to 505HP and 470 ft.lbs of torque. I don't know if I need that much power, but what does need have to do with anything. I know someone who should have one in a few months and has offered to let me take it for a spin. The one big disadvantage is that I am looking for a convertible and the Z06 is not available as a vert.

Quick Reply: Carrera Cabriolet vs. C6 Corvette Convertible