Stupid Move!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
Jim,
Not a great move but a great post. It reminded me of the many trips I made on those roads in my Alfa GTV6 when I lived in Portland in the 80s. I still think Silver Creek Falls is one of the great spots in the country. I miss OR. At least in the summer.
Jim
Silver Creek Falls is probably one of the nicest spots in the state. We don't advertise it very much as you probably remember...
Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eli at Pelican
Dude, very brave posting that here..... but on the other hand VERY FUNNY..... CAREFUL MAN.....
For SURE!!!...no matter how hard we concentrate, one small slip is all it takes. I could complain about it and say the two switches are too close, but you know, It was totally my screw up.

It was like I left it up to my fingers to do the thinking and I powered down the wrong switch and for a moment, knowing I had my hand on the key in the off position, the reaction was to pull the key out...about a nanosecond later all sensory awareness gone, just rolling...no sound, dead steering, and so on, registered and I grabbed for the e-brake to slow her down to almost a crawl, threw it in neutral, pegged the clutch and fired her up again.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
That's why most ignitions are on a different side...
Acutally no, but that was a great attempt at an explanation.

Some automakers have it on the steering column, some on the stalk, some on the dash, some on the console (ala SAAB), etc, etc,. Some have their lights on the dash, some on a stalk, well you get the point. The only thing we DO know is that Porsche has placed the ignition in a practical place for a reason (albeit based on history and not current utility).
Old 06-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mitty
I would do that, wait I think I have done that!

Hows it going Darren?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:32 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the 80's I had a rookie trader working for me who turned his ignition switch to the off position while he was coasting in a Chevy Monza coupe. The steering locked up and he went into the guardrail near Prineville.
Great guy. 6 foot 6 and a real gentle giant. His kid brother played for the Redskins. Unfortunately he drowned in a car wreck near John Day when his new Isuzu Trooper slid on an icy spot along the river, flipped over and when into the river upside down. He was still buckled up when they went to get him out.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:32 AM
Gnome
Racer

Originally Posted by djantlive
With the engine off, you should still be able to steer and brake (albeit without power assist). It's like if you run out of gas. It's not safe but not detrimental. It's easy to confuse the key with the light switch esp when the car is bouncing around when in motion. That's why most ignitions are on a different side...
Yes, but if you pull out the key (like he almost did) the steering will lock up and then...
Old 06-25-2005, 02:33 AM
Gnome
Racer

Originally Posted by StanSoph
Freaky dude. Remember what happened when Garp turned off the car and headlights and flew into the driveway.............
...ouch.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JimB
Jim,
Not a great move but a great post. It reminded me of the many trips I made on those roads in my Alfa GTV6 when I lived in Portland in the 80s. I still think Silver Creek Falls is one of the great spots in the country. I miss OR. At least in the summer.
Jim

you drove your Alfa on back roads? when i had mine in Vancouver, i wouldn't even go near the city limits for fear it would strand me.

the Alfa was beatiful but it made my Jag seem like a reliability queen.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lexpilot
In the 80's I had a rookie trader working for me who turned his ignition switch to the off position while he was coasting in a Chevy Monza coupe. The steering locked up and he went into the guardrail near Prineville.
Great guy. 6 foot 6 and a real gentle giant. His kid brother played for the Redskins. Unfortunately he drowned in a car wreck near John Day when his new Isuzu Trooper slid on an icy spot along the river, flipped over and when into the river upside down. He was still buckled up when they went to get him out.

I'm glad I just turned the ignition switch off. Your brain plays funny tricks when your hand is on the key...like, 'OK, dummy, now that you turned the ignition off, its time to put the key in your pocket'...only problem is that all other sensory perceptions indicate movement and speed.

I've heard about pilots that for some reason or other don't trust their instruments and end up thinking they are blue side up but they end up inverting their aircraft...maybe one of our pilot brothers can throw some light on this...I've heard its not that uncommon for novice pilots when they enter heavy fog on instruments only...things just get turned around or scrambled.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

On the (partial) subject of Oregon roads...I found some extreme twisties over the weekend. Take hwy 26 toward the coast and then turn south on 53. Intense!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Mitty
Racer

Originally Posted by JimPDX
Hows it going Darren?
It's going great man! Thanks for asking. Work has had me running hard. In addition to the normal activates, we are about to finalize a big acquisition. We bought a large software company and are close to becoming one bigger company.

Enough work talk. I did the garage door mod and the non-smoker swap at the same time. The only problem is I think my switch is defective. It will not light up when I put power to the 2 outside prongs. Think Sunset will let me swap it for a different one?

After seeing you and Lee running front license plates, I mounted mine too. “My posses legal”.

We need to schedule another Portland area meet. Maybe play tag on 53 like Lee just posted.

-Darren
Old 06-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

It's going great man! Thanks for asking. Work has had me running hard. In addition to the normal activates, we are about to finalize a big acquisition. We bought a large software company and are close to becoming one bigger company.

Enough work talk. I did the garage door mod and the non-smoker swap at the same time. The only problem is I think my switch is defective. It will not light up when I put power to the 2 outside prongs. Think Sunset will let me swap it for a different one?

After seeing you and Lee running front license plates, I mounted mine too. “My posses legal”.

We need to schedule another Portland area meet. Maybe play tag on 53 like Lee just posted.

-Darren
I'll pass on playing tag on 53...don't wory about the light in the switch...for the switch to light...it needs pretty much a dedicated circuit, but Jeff will let you swap it out I'm sure.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:59 AM
Mitty
Racer

Originally Posted by JimPDX
I'll pass on playing tag on 53...don't wory about the light in the switch...for the switch to light...it needs pretty much a dedicated circuit, but Jeff will let you swap it out I'm sure.
Jim,
I didn't mean to scare you off. All within the legal limits, of course. Remember the max speed I've had my car? Still have not topped that.
I had a dedicated circuit from the ash tray light.

Oh, I also did a SSK. Feels great.

Next: Get rid of the amber in the rear and front.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I did the garage door mod and the non-smoker swap at the same time. The only problem is I think my switch is defective. It will not light up when I put power to the 2 outside prongs.
Darren, what switch did you use for the garage door? If you used the targa shade switch then I have a fix for you. It is not the switch that is bad, it is that it doesn't have a dedicated circuit like Jim said. You have 2 options. (1)become a expert quickly in electronic scematics and create the circuit after tearing the switch down......or (2)Buy a switch like the TT spoiler switch which has a dedicated circuit (outside posts) and then swap out the faceplate covers.

I chose option 2 and it was exrtremely easy to do. The mod just costs you an extra 20 bucks or so, but worth it. Now, it illuminates when I turn on the lights like the rest of my factory switches.

By the way, if you used the targa shade switch did you find one in glossy?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Darren, what switch did you use for the garage door? If you used the targa shade switch then I have a fix for you. It is not the switch that is bad, it is that it doesn't have a dedicated circuit like Jim said. You have 2 options. (1)become a expert quickly in electronic scematics and create the circuit after tearing the switch down......or (2)Buy a switch like the TT spoiler switch which has a dedicated circuit (outside posts) and then swap out the faceplate covers.

I chose option 2 and it was exrtremely easy to do. The mod just costs you an extra 20 bucks or so, but worth it. Now, it illuminates when I turn on the lights like the rest of my factory switches.

By the way, if you used the targa shade switch did you find one in glossy?

Hey Dell...the switch i used was the floor well light switch (996-613-980-00 about $30.00). The Targa shade switch only came in matte finish and I didn't want to dick with doing a glossy paint coat to match the other switches in my car

The footweel switch has two dedicated posts as you mention and running a line from the dedicated posts off the window pwr. switch did not illuninate the footwell switch for the door opener...any ideas...

Quick Reply: Stupid Move!!