Sponsored by:

SSSK Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 11:24 PM
StanSoph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSSK Mod

I shortened my SSK .5". It is now a SSSK. I thought I would like it a bit shorter than it was; and I do. I removed the shift boot, measured .5",marked with sharpie. Draped interior with sheets (dust/debris protection). Fired up the 90 grinder with cutoff wheel and cut. Chamfered and polished the end.Cut the bottom of the shifter off .700" , chamfered and polished. Reinstalled the shift boot and shifter. Viola', SSSK. Throw is shorter and effort is slightly higher. I like it. I had thought about this mod for a while and finally got around to following through. If I didn't like it I could buy a new stainless piece and be back to original. This also gave me something to do other than slowly eroding away my hood trying to polish out the damage from my bra fiasco. A botched up shifter is cheaper than a marred body part.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

wow... I give you alot of credit for whipping out the ol' grinder and doing it yourself. WHy did you do it in the first place? Were you getting too used to the throws of the regular SSK?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:44 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Originally Posted by evo_333
wow... I give you alot of credit for whipping out the ol' grinder and doing it yourself. WHy did you do it in the first place? Were you getting too used to the throws of the regular SSK?
You got it right. Got used to the throws. The grinder is just your standeard issue 90 de pneu tool with 2.5 " wheel. I then remove that and polished and cleaned up the end with 2.5 " Scotch Brite pads in vaious grades of abrasiveness. Thanks for giving me applause. It had a low pucker factor for me. Scary to me is drilling that first hole of a mod on the side of a Gulfstream IV..Really, really scary is the thought of me with a circular polisher and cutting compound on the car..I don't want to go there.

I think I will really enjoy the new throws; short, quick and firm.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:33 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Cool, I did that to my old Audi S4 with the same satisfaction.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of our local Boxster owners did something like this a few years with the original B&M short shift.

He cut down the B&M shift lever.

It is now like a light switch.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:21 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

hahah that looks funny...kinda cute. It's a nubby shifter.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shortest shifter.

Ergnomics must be ahh different
Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 PM
StanSoph
Racer

After a weekend with my new lightswitch SSSK; I have to say it is a welcome addition to the car. A tad stiff when the tranny is cold,but after warmup it is bang on. I really like the way it is now; this is how it should come from the factory,IMHO.

Quick Reply: SSSK Mod