Sponsored by:

Seriously considering a 996 40th anniv purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 01:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StanSoph
I regret getting rid of my 993, boohoo. I am now searching for a 930 slant nose. Oh, wait this is about the 40th anniversary car. I say a man really needs 2 Porsches; a nice one for nice and one for a play toy. As soon as you sell your car you will regret it, you will try to fill the void with something ( 40th ann) that sounds to me like you are trying to talk yourself into. 993 vs 996 is comparing apples to oranges. Exactly the same but totally different. I had my 993 fully tweaked; the engine had been rebuilt with new heads, cams, pistons, crank, exhaust. I had roughly $25k in the engine alone. The suspension, wheels and interior were the way I wanted them. Silly me; I sold the car because I was bored and wanted a change. Matilda; as she was so affectionately called, was one of a kind. I never thought about losing money when I sold it; I wanted a 996. End of story. I like my 996, it is fast, handles great and is not a handful for my wife. I don't regret buying the 996, I regret selling my 993. Oh the troubles of choice.
very well put...

i need more money!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM
hdpt73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993/996?

I was in the same shoes between the 40th, 996c4s, 993 and targa. I went with the 40th. Here is what I found during my research.

993-- too old and I can't afford maintenace, looks awesome, not as safe as 996, too raw for everyday commutes. Sometimes you want to gun it but most of the time is normal driving. I don't do DE or AutoX. looks awesome, looks awesome, did I mention looks awesome?

c4s-- looks awesome, I don't need all wheel drive as i live in texas. I wanted to buy a 911 for the rear wheel drive experience and i felt it may be muted with a 4s.

targa-- cool glass roof, may be too hot for texas sun. less rigid body and i hate creaks from a car as I came from a boxster.

40th-- more power (x51), fully loaded interior. gt silver paint and limited edition. the main reason i chose this was the x51.

any of the 911s above would have made me happy. I would keep the 993 if I were u though as you're already used to the 993 and the novelties of a 996 would wear off anyways. That and it would save you some money.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering a 996 40th anniv purchase