Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another new 996 owner. Some radio questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 05:04 PM
RogerS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new 996 owner. Some radio questions.

Great board you guys, in spite of recent whiners!

I just bought a low milage Lapis blue 1999 996 with a casette only radio and with the tone controls module mounted seperately in the console. Kind of a poor Porsche cost saving decision.

1. Is it possible to connect an iPod directly to this radio?

2. Does anyone have a suggestion for replacing the Porsche radio and tone controls module with a CD/radio that has a direct connection the iPod can use? I'll keep the stock speakers.

3. Is there an easy way to connect the iPod to +12V without a big plug and wiring hanging out of the lighter socket?

I would like to avoid the FM transmitter and batteries solution because the sound quality is not good and batteries are a pain to constantly replace.

Sorry, no pics yet.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:40 PM
thanatos69
Intermediate

It almost sounds like you have the DSP for the upgraded sound system. The normal tone controls (bass, treble) are built into the unit and are accessible via a menu feature. The DSP usesd an offboard amp (located behind the spare tire in the front boot) to power the speakers.

To address the issue about adding an IPod, do you have a CD changer installed with the cassette unit? If so then you cannot add the IPod without using an FM modulator or disconnecting the CD changer. If you do not have a CD changer, then its possible to use a special cable to feed in an external analog audio source, such as an IPod. This cable would interface with the CD Changer input on the back of the radio. The cable is available from several sources (I've seen them on ebay several time) or if you don't mind using a soldering iron, it looks to be fairly easy to make.

For the most part its a pair of RCA jacks on one side and spade recepticles on the other. One spade connections for common ground, one for Left + and one for Right + I believe.

Information on how to add an IPod to a factory system can be found at, HTTP://www.renntech.org . The site has some great articles covering this topic completely. You might try and search rennlist also to see what's available here also.

-Richard
Old 06-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just installed the Dension Ice>Link Plus on my 2001 Carrera4.
It goes in place of the CD changer, and you can control the iPOD thru the head unit controls. It also charges the iPOD and has quite a cool dock cradle. The sound quality is just like the CD changer

Just remember to remove the CD's from the changer before you unplug it... my weekend job is now to connect it back up for 5 minutes to get my CD's back :-)
Old 06-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Ekename
Pro

Another option is Alpine which also makes an iPod controller. This is the route I'm planning to pursue. Monster cable has come out with an iPod interface but I'm not sure if Porsche radios are supported.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
I have just installed the Dension Ice>Link Plus on my 2001 Carrera4.
It goes in place of the CD changer, and you can control the iPOD thru the head unit controls. It also charges the iPOD and has quite a cool dock cradle. The sound quality is just like the CD changer

Just remember to remove the CD's from the changer before you unplug it... my weekend job is now to connect it back up for 5 minutes to get my CD's back :-)
Good advice!

I'm screwed until they come out with something for the MOST interface... arrrgg.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:44 PM
thanatos69
Intermediate

Riad,

Thanks for reminding me, I was checking out the MOST bus specs and I found the the vendor who makes the MOST capable IC chips. They have a rapid prototype tool that's exactly what everyone is looking for, analog audio converted to MOST data packets.

http://www.oasis.de/eng/content/view/208/262/

I have no idea what the cost is, but from experience most rapid prototype devices like this aren't cheap. Of course is there's someone out there who knows more about PIC programming and has an electrical engineering degree, here's the link to the IC chip we need to do it all.

http://www.oasis.de/eng/content/view/43/68/

Given some assistance from someone with a bit more experience, I think it would be possible to get a MOST bus enabled audio conversion unit. Plus if anyone knows the bus command structure for the iPod it might be able to do conversions from radio controls to iPod commands......again beyond my current level. Anyone?

-Richard
Old 06-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Model year 1999 was a transition year for the 210 to 220 radio head. If you have the 220 then you have an aux-in. I think DSP only came with the 220. You can buy an aux-in adapter for a few dollars from Becker for the 220.

You get your power for your device from the cell phone connector. Becker also sells an adapter for that.

In fact there is a kit for both adapters and the radio removal keys that Becker sells.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radio keys are also available from your Porsche dealer... amazed that they were only $2.50 !!! Is this the cheapest ever Porsche part ??
... oh they are not so much keys as small finger guilotines...
Old 06-13-2005, 03:19 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB
The radio keys are also available from your Porsche dealer... amazed that they were only $2.50 !!! Is this the cheapest ever Porsche part ??
... oh they are not so much keys as small finger guilotines...
Nope. On my 2001 C4 coupe I had the rear wiper, there is a little plasic top that covers the nut, I think it was $1.50

Riad,

Thanks for reminding me, I was checking out the MOST bus specs and I found the the vendor who makes the MOST capable IC chips. They have a rapid prototype tool that's exactly what everyone is looking for, analog audio converted to MOST data packets.

http://www.oasis.de/eng/content/view/208/262/

I have no idea what the cost is, but from experience most rapid prototype devices like this aren't cheap. Of course is there's someone out there who knows more about PIC programming and has an electrical engineering degree, here's the link to the IC chip we need to do it all.

http://www.oasis.de/eng/content/view/43/68/

Given some assistance from someone with a bit more experience, I think it would be possible to get a MOST bus enabled audio conversion unit. Plus if anyone knows the bus command structure for the iPod it might be able to do conversions from radio controls to iPod commands......again beyond my current level. Anyone?

-Richard
Richard, thanks for the info... hopefully someone will create a retail version for this stupid most buss.

Rob

Quick Reply: Another new 996 owner. Some radio questions.