Sponsored by:

Spring install in VA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 08:40 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys,

How did the spring installation go? Do you have any pictures? I am sorry I missed it -- I was out all night and couldn't get out of bed early enough. I hope everything went well and that you guys had a good time.

Mark, I think the website you're asking about is: http://www.dorkiphus.com I just recently joined it myself. There are quite a few Rennlisters on that site as well.

I hope to see you guys at Summit Point fun run next weekend.

-Gary
Old 07-16-2005, 09:09 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,

First I would like to say that it was really great meeting everyone today and hope to see you guys next week..

The job took us, (well Mark, Eli, and Ted) about 3.5 relax hours.. I was surprised at how smooth everything went.. I would love to have the same setup as Mark and the Taj. That place rocks..

The car seems to be slightly lower then before, I didnt get a chacne to take before pics but I will take some after pics to show off the job. Did I mention how awesome the guys were in lending me a hand..

My initial analysis on the suspension, because I basically just drove the car home.. Still need to get the 4wheel alignment. The car is firmer but the bumps on 66 still feels the same.. I hadn't really noticed it being much harsher then the std setup. The car feels more planted when swerving side to side at 65 but the rear feels a little lose.. Not sure if thats normal or not bc I generally dont swerve side to side at 65.. but there seems to be a lag when I jerk the wheel back and forth, a slight delay then I feel the rear swing around.

OT, Mark pointed out that I had a leaky battery and acid was crystalizing all over the tray. I just bought the battery size 48dl duralast from autozone 2 weeks ago so they had no problems swaping it out. I'll give it another try but if this one leaks again then i'm gonna go with the optima or the Stock Moll battery from Porsche.

While I was swaping out the battery it started to rain so I shut the hood.. (duh) so after searching throught the forum I was able to find a solution to getting the hood jump open and new battery installed. Now i'm really conscience about the leak and will probably check on it daily..

Generally where does or would a battery leak from, top or bottom? Mine appeared to be leaking from the overflow or breather tube..

The only regret I have with this swap/upgrade was not being able to attend a DE or at the least being able to push the car harder on the street.. I'm a pretty conservative driver.. I have 10k on the clock anf the original tires still looks great So I really wont be able to run a good comparison between the two setups. Anything I feel now when driving the car will basically be a new experience. Looking forward to pushing it a little harder then before.

OT, Not sure if its in my head or not but the door seems to require more force to get it to shut tight. A casual flick of the wrist doesnt cut it anymore. Any chance the suspension upgrade is related? Do any of you run into this problem? Also when the car is on a slight incline the door is harder to shut. I basically have to slam the door for it to seal..

peter
Old 07-16-2005, 09:21 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Glad your swap went well. With Eli and Kurt there to help, you had more than plenty. Kurts Taj is one of a kind.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter it was good meeting you. Glad the car's riding well. Don't forget to get an alignment, the ride will likely be much better after that. Kurt took some pics of the work in progress, hopefully he'll post 'em soon
Oh...the host's name's Kurt .
Kurt, thanks again for letting up use the Taj and stepping in during the first hour and a half I wasn't there

-Eli
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll put up the two images I took tonight. Good to meet some Rennlisters face to face and spend some time wrenchen' on a nice car.

The Dorki website is a totaly homegrown Washington DC local website consisting entirely of Porsche DYI and track rat folks. Free and beholden to no one. You are welcome to join in and you free to say what you think regardless of what it is about but please use you head. We already have a Village Idiot and he hates competition Feel free to check it out and post but remember that we are strongly wrench and track oriented. At times a thick skin and or a strong sense of humor is called for.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:06 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by kurt M
We already have a Village Idiot and he hates competition
Hey Kurt, I resemble, I mean resent, that remark
Old 07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I will have to disagree with you on that one.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Peter,

Batteries will leak from the top because that is where you open each cell to add distilled water or test specific gravity (to determine bad cells) -- it will not have anything to do with your door.

BTW, your car looks great and I'm sure with a little lower ride height it will look and drive even better.

Kurt, your garage is something to marvel! It is every wrench turner's dream. Very nice.

Again, great to meet everyone!

Mark

P.S. Where is Summit Point?? A fun run sounds like something I'd be interested in.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Mark Wheeler
Racer

Gary,

Thanks for the message board info. It Rocks!

Mark
Old 07-18-2005, 09:48 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Good to meet some Renlisters face to face. Mark, sorry we were not able to get to your spoiler switch addition. That sounds like an interesting project and if you have not done it yet perhaps we can set up a Renlist night to do it later in the month. The promised pics.

Last edited by kurt M; 07-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 PM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

Mark,

I will keep an eye out for leaks.. I'm thinking it leaked from the drain tube or overflow tube. Maybe I didnt have the tube pushed all the way in the first time around..
I know the battery leak has nothing to do with the door. I was asking if the lower/stiffer suspension setup might have shifted the door or frame of the vehicle. Hence making the door more difficult to shut tight without using excessive force..

Originally Posted by Mark Wheeler
Peter,

Batteries will leak from the top because that is where you open each cell to add distilled water or test specific gravity (to determine bad cells) -- it will not have anything to do with your door.

BTW, your car looks great and I'm sure with a little lower ride height it will look and drive even better.

Kurt, your garage is something to marvel! It is every wrench turner's dream. Very nice.

Again, great to meet everyone!

Mark

P.S. Where is Summit Point?? A fun run sounds like something I'd be interested in.

Quick Reply: Spring install in VA?