996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool gadget but for $120 I would just get one of the nice crafstman or snap-on wrenches.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a few torque wrenches. 3/8" drive is usually up to 75-100 foot founds on the max reading. 1/2" drive is usually up to 200-250 foot pounds. I have a small 3/8" drive that reads in inch pounds for low torque applications. It goes up to 20 foot pounds when you convert inches to pounds.

I have Utica, Husky, and CDI. CDI either makes the Snap-On torque wrenches or is owned by Snap-On. I forget.

Sears had or has a wrench that I think was called micro-torque that I did not like. It had a ring you twist to lock/unlock the torque setting just like an old Snap-On. With Snap-On the locking ring was made of metal. With Sears it was plasic and it could break.

I think the best bang for the buck is Husky. The one I have is 3/8" drive.

This is an old picture. I gave one of the CDI 1/2" drive wrenches in the pic to a Boxster friend. I then bought a 3/8" drive Utica that is not in the pic.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Res Ips
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I have a few torque wrenches. 3/8" drive is usually up to 75-100 foot founds on the max reading. 1/2" drive is usually up to 200-250 foot pounds. I have a small 3/8" drive that reads in inch pounds for low torque applications. It goes up to 20 foot pounds when you convert inches to pounds.

I have Utica, Husky, and CDI. CDI either makes the Snap-On torque wrenches or is owned by Snap-On. I forget.

Sears had or has a wrench that I think was called micro-torque that I did not like. It had a ring you twist to lock/unlock the torque setting just like an old Snap-On. With Snap-On the locking ring was made of metal. With Sears it was plasic and it could break.

I think the best bang for the buck is Husky. The one I have is 3/8" drive.

This is an old picture. I gave one of the CDI 1/2" drive wrenches in the pic to a Boxster friend. I then bought a 3/8" drive Utica that is not in the pic.

Thx Tool Pants...is there any tool that you don't have?

Jim
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Jeff...that is quite the collection you have!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

that's why they call him Tool Pants!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Porsche's and tools.....does it get any better? Throw in a beautiful woman and a nice pint of Guinness and I am in heaven
Old 06-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just call it a genetic defect. As a pre-teen my presents were tools. I use to take watches, law mowers, bicycles, and other stuff apart. I was always able to put things back together, and sometimes they worked. Sometimes they did not.

34 years ago when I was about 14 I helped my brother replace a clutch. Then I went into my first motorcylcle and car. The tool collection grew over the years from a small tool box to many small tool boxes. Then I had to buy 2 roll-aways. Then I had to buy the chests as I ran out of room.

Then when I bought my Boxster 6 years ago I made friends with the Porsche mechanics I know. I went through their tool chests. They showed me the official Porsche tool catalog and I bought just what I needed. They showed me the aftermarket tool catalog and I bought just what I needed.

I have been trying to find this electrical tool kit for 4 years. Made by Mibotool. This I do not have. I have searched on google and asked on 2 German message boards. No luck. I have spoken to 2 dealers. It is not in the tool catalog.

This is the electrical tool kit I want, or rather some of the tools in the kit. Not from Hazet or Stahlwille. From Mibotool.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like Dr. Krapotnik's torture set
Old 06-10-2005, 03:01 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those things look like what I have in the kitchen for carving meat. Just kidding. I think I have sent several Snap-On and Mac tool dealers kids to medical school, law school and one didn't amount to much but spent a lot of daddy's money. If you use them al ot they are certainly worth the money. I have my collection as I been working in aviation for the past 20 yrs.The tool trucks are like toy stores for me.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:04 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by StanSoph
Those things look like what I have in the kitchen for carving meat...
Stan - That DOES look like a 19 piece cuttlery set!

Tool Pants - Too bad I didn't see the pic of the Mibotool electrical set 3 days ago! I just opened a new checking account and I had a choice between a free toaster and the Mibotool electrical set. Unfortunately for you, I chose the toaster! Thought I could replace the CD holder and the storage shelf in the lower console with the toaster so I could have warm Pop-Tarts on the way to work each morning.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Recommendations