Sponsored by:

Does my engine compartment fan work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
If you guys keep it up, I am going to get in trouble at work . . .
Just trying to keep it live...
Old 06-04-2005, 05:04 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Guys,

It is an exhasut fan, drawing hot air out of the engine comparment, 1999Porsche911 is incorrect in saying that it is drawing outside air in to the engine compartment, unless he got the polarity wrong.

For example, Manthey Racing has relocated the fan to the center of the lid on their GT3MR version and hooked it up to a manual switch. Some of their cars even sport dual exhasut fans!

I open up the lid on trackdays as I pull in to the pit, thinks it's more effective. If you don't want to bother opening the lid, leave the key in the ignition, turned to position 2 and the fan should come on.

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:26 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Mr. C4]Guys,

It is an exhasut fan, drawing hot air out of the engine comparment, 1999Porsche911 is incorrect in saying that it is drawing outside air in to the engine compartment, unless he got the polarity wrong.

For example, Manthey Racing has relocated the fan to the center of the lid on their GT3MR version and hooked it up to a manual switch. Some of their cars even sport dual exhasut fans!

I open up the lid on trackdays as I pull in to the pit, thinks it's more effective. If you don't want to bother opening the lid, leave the key in the ignition, turned to position 2 and the fan should come on.

Ciao,

Mr C4: The 996 fan is designed to draw air into the engine compartment from the top of the lid. IT DOES NOT suck air out of the engine compartment. Who in their right mind would want a fan to suck air from the bottom of the car, past the headers so the top of the engine could get even warmer? If your fan is not blowing down on the engine, then you have a polarity problem which you need to correct.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 06-04-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:40 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=1999Porsche911]
Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Guys,

Ciao,

Mr C4: The 996 fan is designed to draw air into the engine compartment from the top of the lid. IT DOES NOT suck air out of the engine compartment. Who in their right mind would want a fan to suck air from the bottom of the car, past the headers so the top of the engine could get even warmer? If your fan is not blowing down on the engine, then you have a polarity problem which you need to correct.
looks like there were a few pre '01 996s that had their polarity reversed and the fan was drawing air out of the engine compartment.

drawing air out from the top doesn't seem like a bad idea as you, as usual (sarc.) so delicately put it. maybe manthey is on to something.. maybe its better for track conditions.

FWIW look at the attachement.
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2005, 01:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said earlier, who in their right mind would want to suck more hot air past the headers into the engine compartment? The natural design of the lid without the fan is to draw air into the compartment and not out. Do a little test....unplug the fan connection from the senor so the fan is on and close the lid. Let the car idle for 20 minutes and note the engine compartment temp using you voltmeter on the sensor contacts. Now do the same thing but reverse the polarity of the fan so it sucks air out of the engine. You will see that your compartment temp is more than 20 degree hotter.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 06-04-2005 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Does my engine compartment fan work?