Sponsored by:

Question for BullBear or anyone with + 02 C-Wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:41 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TD, lets see who can post pics of this mysterious lip spoiler first!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like I win. Here are two pictures of the front lip spoiler. It is only 2'4" long, and it appears to snap into place without rivits or bolts of any type. It is part number 99650555501, and it comes with the carerra wing kit for 8/01 + cars.

It is very interesting to me that Porsche makes such a big deal about the need for aerodynamic testing, and the need to use matching aerokit parts. This part seems relatively minor, but Porsche insists that you use it if you use their rear spoiler. This is precisely why I am so hesitant to use aftermarket aerokit parts unless they have been tested in wind tunnels. It is also interesting that this little spoiler is only necessary after the updated front bumper, which I thought was supposed to create additional downforce over the original spoiler, which does not need it. hmmmm
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2005, 12:27 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

TD, you win indeed!

Now, does this spoiler install pointing downwards (like u were holding it in the 2nd pic)? Or does it install like a lip (with the blade pointing towards the front of the car)? It looks to me it installs pointing downwards (ie not that visible at all)
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by bullbear
TD, you win indeed!

Now, does this spoiler install pointing downwards (like u were holding it in the 2nd pic)? Or does it install like a lip (with the blade pointing towards the front of the car)? It looks to me it installs pointing downwards (ie not that visible at all)
I have yet to install it, but I believe it installs well beneath the nose of the car (it will not be visible from the exterior) with the blade pointing downwards. The view I showed in the second photo shows the correct installation orientation (tabs up, blade down).
Old 05-23-2005, 12:35 PM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

TD, what happened to the "no more mods" thinking?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by evo_333
TD, what happened to the "no more mods" thinking?

I was waiting for this question . . . I am on the verge of buying a normally aspirated 944 for the track. I have spousal sign-off, so it is just a matter of finding the right car. I have a few good leads, I just need to educate myself a little more before I pull the trigger.

In the meantime, the only thing I didn't like about my car was that it feels a little light above 110. I just got back from Watkins Glen this weekend, and, again, the car felt a little light at high speeds. I bought a carerra wing replica from MASHAW, which is at the bodyshop right now being prepared for painting. (it was $1700 cheaper than the oem part, and the bodyshop said it was fairly good quality) I pulled the trigger on the wing because it is subtle and functional, and will not lead to the "frankenstein effect" I was concerned about since it was designed by the factory for Targas and Convertibles (as well as coupes). I bought the factory front lip so that I could keep the aerodynamics correct. I was just shocked at the size of the front lip.

I also ordered the GT2 foam tray with airpump, tire sealent, first aid kit, etc . . . so that I could delete the front tire and gain usuable trunk space. It works great. I can just lift the whole tray out at the track, and I have instantly lost some weight without having to fool with removing the tire etc . . . It worked really well at Watkins Glen.

Now I am done, I promise. I am sure my focus will shift to the 944 Track car.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:02 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

TD-
You call that a lip?
Old 05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by vove
TD-
You call that a lip?
Yeah, more like a "li" It appears that it is meant to break up the air under the car. I wonder how the fact that I have lowered my car will affect the functioning of the piece. Too bad wind tunnels are prohibitively expensive to rent. Imagine how much fun we could all have if they were as cheap as dynos . . .
Old 05-30-2005, 02:11 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Well, I installed the front lip yesterday. It snaps into preexisting slots on the 8/01+ stock bumper. The slots are about one foot behind the front of the car, which means the spoiler is completely invisible unless on a lift. It appears that the function is to divert air flow away from the bottom of the car. It is probably psychological but the car feels a little better at high speeds (only hit 100 for a very brief period of time). I drop the car off tonight to have the rear wing installed. I have attached some low-quality pics from my phone to show the installed front lip.
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2005, 02:19 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Now I am done, I promise.
Now why do I find that hard to believe?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by LVDell
Now why do I find that hard to believe?
Now you sound like my wife

I really do think I will be done with respect to this car. My focus now will be the 944 . . .
Old 05-30-2005, 03:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't wait to hear your impressions after prepping a 944 for the track. I have considered everything from 944's to early 911's (70's-80s) to even a new GT3. Just can't figure out what I would get the most track enjoyment out of. At least I have a year to figure it out.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:08 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

TD, great write-up and photos! I think I'll probably install it as well even though its not visible. Hopefully, along with PSS9s and GT3 sways, it will eliminate the high speed wobble that it experiences right now. Thx.

Quick Reply: Question for BullBear or anyone with + 02 C-Wing