Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Aluminum Bezels

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005 | 03:24 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

I called Justin at Brandywine and he will take the bezels back however he will charge me for Ebay and Paypal fees. I told him I could live with that but it kinda left a strange taste in my mouth being an upscale dealer and the fact that I am a repeat cust. He also informed me that there are no OEM rings! You have to replace the cluster if you are buying from Porsche. So what is Eric @ bumperplugs or FVD selling? They bill it as OEM. I must be missing something. I Fedexed them back today.
Old 05-09-2005 | 04:21 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Default GE Silicone adheasive is the preferred method for attachment

The superior aspect of Silicone is that it can be cleaned up with plain old rubbing (Isopropyl) alcohol. If you ever decide to remove the rings, the dried silicone can be completely removed with no residue at all.

BTW this is the preferred way to remove old silicone calking from the bathroom or kitchen sink area as well.
Old 05-09-2005 | 09:24 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

mine were from Brandywine and they were 95% there. a small scratch on the Tach, but given where these sit, the relative lack of light and the familiarity that quickly takes over, the eyes don't notice anything - i have no complaints at all.

i used the crazy glue as per the instructions and had no problems
Old 05-10-2005 | 06:07 AM
ac4sdrvr
7th Gear

I bought a set of bezels from FVD. Was not thrilled about using the crazy glue or anything permanent in case it got on any of the gauge faces. I tried double face tape, but it was difficult to cut thin strips and it just didn't stick well at all. Didn't think about silicone adhesive, so I went ahead with the glue provided by FVD. I do wonder about how well the silicone adhesive will hold up over time. After all, if it's safer, why don't the companies that sell the rings ever recommend it?

When I went to install the rings, the first thing I did was to cut out templates of the gauge faces using thin card board to protect them. Used the double faced tape to secure them. I then covered everything around the dash area to protect it in case I dripped glue. When it came time to put the rings on, i would do "dry runs" of putting the rings on to get an idea of how my hands and arms moved around the steering wheel. Once the glue is on the rings, you have very little time to get them on the gauge rims. After all that, I'd put a thin bead of glue on the rings, placed them on the gauges and it turned out great, no drips or smudges at all.

Btw, although it seems that the majority of pcar owners go with the aluminum rings, I put chrome rings on and they look great. It's more of a classic gauge look.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Bezels